Buck Model 21 Fire Brick Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ed

In my Buck Model 21 insert there is a space about 1.25" wide and 22" across the front (toward the door) of the bottom layer of fire bricks that there are no bricks. It is sure a pain to clean ashes out from! I called Buck today and talked to someone about this empty space thinking that there must surely be some reason it was there. The bottom line was that a standard brick doesn't fit there so they left it open.

I located some pre-cut fire bricks 9"x1"x1" at https://woodheatstoves.com/ for about $5.00 a piece and bought 2 of them today. That left a little space on either side that needed filling so I fashioned a couple of smaller pieces from a left over firebrick from when I took out some bricks inside the old firebox during the insert installation. That is going to put the new bricks 1/4" lower than the existing bricks. After I put down a bit of masonary high temp caulk to hold the new bricks in place (not that I really need any...they're not going anywhere) there won't be too much of a drop off. It will be a lot better than the huge space there is now.

I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on this. I don't think it can hurt anything but it will sure help with cleaning out the ashes.

(I know, I know...you all want pictures)

Don Ed

Sounds like they are passing the buck onto the customer Ed. :) I'd think that as long as the added brick doesn't impede the air supply it should work fine.

The new bricks came in today and fit perfectly. I don't think there will be any impact on stove operation but it sure will cut down on the frustration of cleaning ash out of that empty space.

Don Ed said:
The new bricks came in today and fit perfectly. I don't think there will be any impact on stove operation but it sure will cut down on the frustration of cleaning ash out of that empty space.

Ash in that empty space is know as "insulation". That protects the steel from the intense heat in the firebox.

That "insulation" must not be too big of a deal as the person I talked to at Buck Stove didn't mention this. They only said there wasn't room for a whoel brick so they left it empty. I can't imagine the heat bothering this area of the stove anymore than the rest of the stove which is adjacent to the fire brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.