Buck Stove 27000. Screw size for double door inner brackets (8 screws)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charlie3

Jan 23, 2021
Burlington, KY
Hello everyone,
I’m new to forum. Our house came with a 1981 Buck #H-270126 (manual is nice to have).
I have used several times after cleaning & sealing, but there still was a slight leak.
I found 2 of the four brackets(tabs) that hold metal door plate on the door were not working b/c the screws or bolts were broken.
So...question: what size are screws/bolts? And I’m assuming I’ll need to get stainless steel. Also, gasket is shot, so I’ll end up replacing both metal inserts for the glass kit.
But, I’ll have to drill broken screws/bolts out first, then easy-out.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Is there anything left of the existing fasteners that will
give you an idea of what size should be in there?
If not, start with a small drill drill & gradually increase
the size, until you get close to the minor diameter.
Note the size of the last drill you used & then refer to a
tap drill sizing chart. You should be able to figure it out.
Then drill & re-tap. The depth of threads will determine
the bolt length you need...

Thanks, I did get one screw out, going to replace all. Just got back from local hardware store. Bolts seem to be 10/32, 1/2” long.
Now for the fun. Will update when finished.

OK...update. After several trips to hardware store(s). Job is finished. Thanks to Father's (veteran too) past instruction & Honorable Daksy.
Removing the doors was quite a chore, brass hinges were stuck/frozen in, drilled/tap hammered out. Drilling out all bolts in order to remove metal tabs holding metal insert to replace to glass inserts. removed all except that last one! drill bit broke, & yes i was using oil. so decided to use larger bit to drill that out, took a while, but did it. Had to tap that hole larger than the others.
Have been using for a little over a month now, season almost over, its been very nice. heats up the basement and first floor, wood floor is nice to walk on barefoot.
The glass doors are pretty nice. They do get dirty quickly though.
Thanks.

Reactions: DAKSY
I also have a 27000 buck, but your description doesn't make sense to me. Could you provide of pic of yours? Thx