Q&A Buck Stove Insert Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an older 25" high Buck Stove. I want to install it as an insert. There are only 5" of space from the top of the stove to a steel lintel. I can't push the stove in far enough, because of the width of the fireplace opening, to get the opening in the stove top past the lintel. I have a part that transitions from the stove top opening to pipe but it is 12" tall and points straight up. I intend to tie into 6" pipe (existing from prior stove). The lintel ends 1" farther back than the back of the stove pipe opening.Is there any way to make the transition from the stove top to 6" pipe in the 5" vertical space? Thanks Tim

Answer:

This stove is too wide for your fireplace and cannot possibly be connected properly. Depending upon the age of the Buck Stove you have, it probably can't be connected to the pipe you have either, as the older Bucks all had an 8" flue outlet and it's inappropriate to reduce pipe size as it can cause drafting problems (smoke in your house and lazy draft in your chimney which can cause excessive creosote buildup). You need to find a smaller stove, and one with a 6" flue outlet if you're going to reuse the pipe.

You might be able to find a 8" ovalized flexible stainless steel pipe and adapter which may allow you to install this unit properly. Such a tube connects to a custom cast-iron adapter which fits onto the Bucks rectangular outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.