Buck Stove model 280000?? help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your fan switch is in back, it was used as a free standing.. They're tough to get in, most were installed as what is called on the forum, slammers. When that is done the chimney damper is left full open. [ The stove has it's own damper] the sides, between the stove and fireplace, are filled with insulation or crumbled foil and metal covering placed over the slots between the stove and the fireplace side. { These stoves are triple walled and draw air into the outer panel. The fan you see in back is to give some circulation for the life of the wires to the motor, there is a fan inside that pushes the warmed air out the grilled openings.
The ones in use around here, burn hot and produce little build up in the chimney. The chimney is checked from the top, lots of fun on a 12' X 12' pitch roof, cleaned from the top when necessary, the stove is pulled out to vacuum up what has fallen on top of the stove during brushing. The less the stove is use,shorter period of time each burn, the more build up. Stoves used hours at a time have little accumulation.

Some form members will gather around your house with pitchforks calling you to be tarred, if they hear you've done this, so if you do so keep it to yourself.

I would install glass in the doors, these stoves look great when working, I have glass in ours, no it hasn't been installed yet.

Here is another thing that is commonly done here in the mountains, that you are forbidden to do.
Once a hot fire is going and the chimney is warm, a hand full of rock salt it thrown on the fire, the flames will burn lemon yellow, this will lower the kindling tempeture cleaning, soot will be consumed slowly at very low temp before it is allowed to build up. I must say and repeat: Never do this, never. I did this early today, haven't done it for a while.

We have a 27000 I wish it was a 28000, to bad you live so far away I'd love to trade. Good winter, keep warm.

The switch on the 26 27 28000 is on the right side of the stove where the cord enters.

Richard

Last edited:
I have the 27000 insert. Mine is 3 speed. I have a free standing 28000 like yours. It's a good stove but uses a lot more wood than the "newer" '79 model insert. My insert is a "slam" installation and has been in constant use since my granddaddy put it in the house in 79. I clean the chimney a couple of times per season. You need a trim panel kit to seal it to the wall. The smoke will go up your masonry chimney. All you'll have to do is center the stove and attach the faceplates to the wall. Check out this link http://www.servicesales.com

I have the trim panel ordered. It should actually arrive today.
We put the stack on it that was used for the free standing, just to give the smoke some rise, and fired it when we lost power last week due to the big storm. Worked better.
I am still going to line my chimney in the spring, but I will be using as a "Slammer" in emergency situations for the last of this winter. Pitchfork wielders be damned. My family needs heat if the power goes out.
My stove isn't triple walled, only double. I have to have the liner to keep from pulling air from the fireplace, and effecting my draft and potentially pulling smoke, and blowing it into the room.
Now, If I were cheap, I could fashion myself a block-off plate at the flue and keep on rolling. But I figure it would be far easier and safer in the long run to just line it and be done.
I also will be moving the switch and power cord to the right side of the stove, as opposed to the rear, during the offseason.

Last edited:
I have the trim panel ordered. It should actually arrive today.
We put the stack on it that was used for the free standing, just to give the smoke some rise, and fired it when we lost power last week due to the big storm. Worked better.
I am still going to line my chimney in the spring, but I will be using as a "Slammer" in emergency situations for the last of this winter. Pitchfork wielders be damned. My family needs heat if the power goes out.
My stove isn't triple walled, only double. I have to have the liner to keep from pulling air from the fireplace, and effecting my draft and potentially pulling smoke, and blowing it into the room.
Now, If I were cheap, I could fashion myself a block-off plate at the flue and keep on rolling. But I figure it would be far easier and safer in the long run to just line it and be done.
I also will be moving the switch and power cord to the right side of the stove, as opposed to the rear, during the offseason.
Without power most your heat will literally go up the flue. I overfired mine when superstorm Sandy dumped snow here and knocked out the power. Fried my thermostat. Single speed is only $20. I was going to tell you about the single wall bc that's what my big buck free standing stove is. It cycles off quite a bit unless I feed the dragon by leaving the slides half open or more with the damper closed. It will heat but I much prefer the double air jacket design and three speed fan of my insert.
When I clean the chimney I pull the stove stack firewood to support it and cock it to one side. I then wire brush the top and down around the damper. I also remove the doors and brush them outside.

I plugged the stove into the battery back up for the computer and it ran for about 6 hours.
Not ideal for long term use, but it helped us out overnight and kept the den warm and toasty.

When calling it triple wall, I count the fire box as well, I think that add up to three. We have a generator too, the fan makes a big differents.

So does Buck Stove.

I have learned a ton over the past couple of weeks, and I'm making a post soon with what I have learned. You know......for posterity.

My insert is simply pushed tight to wall. Never had a problem with smoke. I usually clean the chimney before start of season and sometimes once 1/2 way through winter. Wondering if most folks have the insulation and seal the trim panels to brick. By the way it was operating this way thanks to Grandaddy 20 years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 254
The owners manual shows the use of silicone around the base of the panels (where they attach to stove), and then fiberglass insulation 1-2 inches from edge of trim where it meets the brick. The insulation is mostly to help seal the mortar joints that could create gaps, allowing air from the room to be pulled in. If you sealed it by the directions in the manual, you may see a slight increase in draft from the stove.
Aside from that, if you don't have back puffing or draft issues now......"If it aint broke, don't fix it" ?? (The fact that it is a "slammer" not-withstanding)

When I install the Buck, it will be free standing, we don't have a masonry chimney at ether ranch.

Richard
That's good, because you don't want to install it the way that these people are suggesting.
I don't think they even realize where the air supply for the blower comes from.

Yeah I realize the fan pulls air from behind the stove. I've wondered about that. The first bucks weren't good for fireplace inserts. However I remember being in the position of needing heat quick and cheap late one winter. I installed a fisher stove 18" from the wall in my avatar picture. Insurance gave me 3 months to get it 3 feet from the wall. Tried a sorry pellet stove from Lowe's the next year. Burned 6 tons of pellets and wasn't warm. Found "old Bertha" for $400 fixed up like brand new, including all the triple wall pipe and roof kit. Figured Ryjen could use some Friendly advice. Wish I'd have found this forum back then.

Yeah I realize the fan pulls air from behind the stove. I've wondered about that.
The only thing I can say is, you are a complete idiot.
You are encouraging someone to pull smoke into their house through their blower.

Does no one on this forum care about this kind of thing anymore?

Can't imagine there being loads of smoke at the base of a wood stove probably over 2 feet from the smoke source. That's without the adaptor he plans to use. If it does draw smoke he can unplug the fan. I highly doubt after using this stove a while it becomes a permanent fixture. Of course this "idiot" does not have a degree in theology of smoke as yourself

Well, that'll about do it for this thread for now. As soon as members get testy and start sniping at each other, the level of courtesy and decorum we try to maintain on these forums has been lost. Go to your corners and take some deep breaths. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.