Buck stove model 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ciggie58

Aug 2, 2022
Missouri
I acquired a Buck stove model 80 that was an insert, no legs. I am going to use this stove as a stand alone unit. Do I need to maintain a certain height when I make the legs, and do I only need a floor shield against embers, or must it have an "R" value?

Thank you for any replies.

That's a good question. In order to comply with the UL testing, it will need to have the factory legs or pedestal. Then the manual calls for a minimum 3/8" thick, non-combustible hearth pad.

What constitutes a non combustible pad? I was looking at 3/8 cement board with outdoor porcelain tile on top.
I found a set of legs for that model....$250. Thats seems a little crazy. I cannot find dimensions of the legs anywhere though. Do the have to be factory legs?

What constitutes a non combustible pad? I was looking at 3/8 cement board with outdoor porcelain tile on top.
I found a set of legs for that model....$250. Thats seems a little crazy. I cannot find dimensions of the legs anywhere though. Do the have to be factory legs?
If you want to maintain the ul listing on the stove yes they do

Yes, that will work, though 1/2" cement board may be easier to find. From an insurance standpoint, the stove needs to be at the manufacturer's tested standard.

I have another question concerning insurance. I live in a modular home. My insurance agent contacted his under writer about the model 80 Buck stove. He replied that as long as I meet their requirements as for distance from walls, and had had a pad 18 inches all around (no R value or thickness mentioned), that it would be insured. Someone told me that model was not made to be installed in a modular home. So is it still covered if the agent says yes, but the manufacturer says no.

I have another question concerning insurance. I live in a modular home. My insurance agent contacted his under writer about the model 80 Buck stove. He replied that as long as I meet their requirements as for distance from walls, and had had a pad 18 inches all around (no R value or thickness mentioned), that it would be insured. Someone told me that model was not made to be installed in a modular home. So is it still covered if the agent says yes, but the manufacturer says no.
If you specifically get it in writing from your insurance company it should be covered. But there is always a chance that because it isn't approved for a manufactured home a claim could be denied. But don't just trust the word of your agent. They are pretty much just sales representatives and don't really have any say

Definitely check carefully with the insurance company. Some are ok with a manufactured home bolted to a permanent foundation, but others consider it to be a mobile. If considered a mobile, there is nothing in the model 80 docs that I can find that says it qualifies. It would need to be bolted down to the hearth and have an outside air supply for this. The Buck 81 does have a mobile home installation option. Give Buck a call for more details and to see if the 81 outside air kit works with the 80. This may require the pedestal base.

As for a hearthpad, it does not need to be 18" in all directions.
"The unit must be positioned on the pad so that there is a minimum of 16" from front of door opening to front of pad,
and a minimum of 8" measured horizontally from sides of fuel loading and ash removal openings to sides of pad."

That 18" all around came from the specs the insurance company wants, not the specs from Buck. I wish I could use Bucks dimensions!

That spec is for an unlisted stove. Do the know that the Buck 80 is a modern, UL tested EPA stove with testing specs?

Yes... But I assumed that what the insurance company wants trump's that... I am a new at all this compliance business.
It absolutely can. They can set whatever requirements they want. But generally if you explain things to them and back it up with documentation they will listen

Ok....the insurance company says I can go by the manufacturers clearance. Now my next question is will a barrier wall reduce that clearance? I have read that you can reduce it by 2/3 with a 24 gauge steel barrier wall, with 1" air space between. Buck stove sends my question to customer service, where I get a recording. Its been a few days and they never answer. I am supposing they dont want to answer. So I will ask you folks your humble opinion on this matter.

I don't think the Buck 80 has an outside air kit to go with it?
Wouldn't that make the install violating code regardless of the clearance issues?

I.e. is a "self-finagled OAK" okay as an OAK for a UL listed stove? I highly doubt it.

I don't think the Buck 80 has an outside air kit to go with it?
Wouldn't that make the install violating code regardless of the clearance issues?

I.e. is a "self-finagled OAK" okay as an OAK for a UL listed stove? I highly doubt it.
I informed the insurance company that the stove was a Model 80 Buck stove. They sent me a diagram of how they wanted the stove to be installed for them to insure it. No mention was made of outside air kit. I made sure that the underwriter was aware that this was a Model 80. Am I wrong in thinking that since they know the model and are willing to insure, that its ok?

I don't think so; the insurance can say it's fine, but if it is against code, it's illegal nonetheless. Insurance has no authority to say what's legal or not.
And regardless of their words, that might also be grounds to deny any claim if shtf.

This is all IF I'm right in my previous post.

That is what I understand to be the case indeed.

There are specific requirements for stoves in modular homes. One is the bolting down begreen mentioned. Another is an OAK. This is because manufactured homes are generally (air-) tighter than other homes.

Also, make sure you have a CO alarm in addition to the smoke alarms you should have.

Ok, help me understand. Why does this stove require an outside air kit? Is it because it is in a modular home?
Yes I believe outside air is required in modular homes. But you would have to check with the local authority. And a code violation could potentially still be grounds to deny an insurance claim even if they missed it previously.

People like living in this county because there are not many codes. But I am not sure about this situation. Thank you for informing me of this matter, and I will take it into consideration. But as far as the heat barrier goes, is it safe to say that you can decrease your clearance by 1/2 to 2/3 if you put one up. I want to safe as far as that end of this setup goes.

People like living in this county because there are not many codes. But I am not sure about this situation. Thank you for informing me of this matter, and I will take it into consideration. But as far as the heat barrier goes, is it safe to say that you can decrease your clearance by 1/2 to 2/3 if you put one up. I want to safe as far as that end of this setup goes.
The county doesn't dictate code. That is done at the state level. Although the county can add to the state codes they have to follow them at a minimum. Your county may not have code enforcement but you are still required to follow state codes.

And no it absolutely is not safe to say a heat barrier can reduce clearances at all from the manufacturer specified ones.

The county doesn't dictate code. That is done at the state level. Although the county can add to the state codes they have to follow them at a minimum. Your county may not have code enforcement but you are still required to follow state codes.

And no it absolutely is not safe to say a heat barrier can reduce clearances at all from the manufacturer specified ones.
Thanks for setting me straight on that, its a learning experience.

All of us here learn. Even bholler :)

Reactions: bholler
One more question about the Model 80. Does it require firebricks? There is no angle iron framed in the firebox to hold the firebrick in place, and I cannot find any mention of firebrick in the owners manual.