Buck Stove Model 81

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mightytitan9

Sep 18, 2021
Mound City KS
The insert I have ordered (Montlake 300) is STILL on backorder (I was told it would be in around mid December) and I am starting to look at other options. This is our first year in our 1900 sq ft ranch with a full (unheated basement) and I'm finding this house to be much warmer than our previous house.

My previous insert was an Osburn 2400 and I especially enjoyed the long burn times.

I found a decent deal on a used Buck Stove Model 81 and am thinking of pulling the trigger. My hesitation is that I am used to a 3.4 cubic foot firebox and would be going down to a 2.5 cubic foot firebox.

In my 3.4 I could go 12hrs and still be producing heat and have coals to easily start the fire again.

Does anyone have a Model 81 and wish to share their burn times? Or just a general 2.5 cubic foot inserts burn time?

I think the Model 81 will produce enough heat for the space, I am mostly concerned with burn times as I usually try to load before bed, again in the morning and then 10 hrs later when I get home. I don't want to take an hour before I start getting usable heat after getting home.

I'm just about through my first season burning with a Buck model 81. So far I've been able to get a max 8 h
The insert I have ordered (Montlake 300) is STILL on backorder (I was told it would be in around mid December) and I am starting to look at other options. This is our first year in our 1900 sq ft ranch with a full (unheated basement) and I'm finding this house to be much warmer than our previous house.

My previous insert was an Osburn 2400 and I especially enjoyed the long burn times.

I found a decent deal on a used Buck Stove Model 81 and am thinking of pulling the trigger. My hesitation is that I am used to a 3.4 cubic foot firebox and would be going down to a 2.5 cubic foot firebox.

In my 3.4 I could go 12hrs and still be producing heat and have coals to easily start the fire again.

Does anyone have a Model 81 and wish to share their burn times? Or just a general 2.5 cubic foot inserts burn time?

I think the Model 81 will produce enough heat for the space, I am mostly concerned with burn times as I usually try to load before bed, again in the morning and then 10 hrs later when I get home. I don't want to take an hour before I start getting usable heat after getting home.

burn. Stove gets to cool to put out any useable heat and the blower shuts off at that time. I still have enough hot coals for several hrs after to make fire starting easy. Mine is located in the basement of a 1600 sq ft ranch. It is replacing a Hitzer 983 as my primary heating source. The 81 doesn't put out as much heat as the 983, but it does a decent job and I'm using almost half the wood. In hindsight, I wish I had a bigger firebox, but liked the looks of the 81 and I didn't want a catalytic stove. Useable heat comes only after about 30 minutes of burn and much less smoke from the chimney.

We have the Buck 74 at our vacation home which I believe has a 2.65 box. We can pack her full with oak before bed and have coals yet to fire her back up in the morning. Fan will still be on 8-9 hours later. Like the stove, very easy to operate and puts out a ton of heat. Now I thought 81 was set with a deeper fire box for N/S loading so I'm somewhat surprised Bobbob isn't getting better burn times.
Now at home we have a Kuma with a 1.8 box that will also go 8-9 hours between reloads but it has a Cat.
When/if we ever replace Buck 74 (10 plus years old) I would upgrade to at least a 3.0 box. As they say, you can always build a small fire in a big box. But not a bigger fire in a small box.

Burn times are relative to the heat loss of the house. The same stove will have different burn time in fall than in winter because it needs to put out more heat in cold weather to keep the area comfortable.

If the basement is fully insulated then the Buck 81 could work out well. The one concern will be if this is a negative pressure zone. Is there a flue already in the basement and if so, how well does it draft?

Is the intent to just heat the 1900 sq ft basement or also the story or stories above? If there is an additional 1900 sq ft, then a larger stove may be advisable.

Burn times are relative to the heat loss of the house. The same stove will have different burn time in fall than in winter because it needs to put out more heat in cold weather to keep the area comfortable.

If the basement is fully insulated then the Buck 81 could work out well. The one concern will be if this is a negative pressure zone. Is there a flue already in the basement and if so, how well does it draft?

Is the intent to just heat the 1900 sq ft basement or also the story or stories above? If there is an additional 1900 sq ft, then a larger stove may be advisable.
I thought I was doing pretty good with burn times since the stove is the primary heat source for 3200 sq ft. My furnace does run every couple hours once temps fall below 20 with the thermostat upstairs set at 68. I live in northwestern PA and I run my stove nonstop from Nov till end of March. Some in Oct and some in April. I probability will burn threw 4 cords this year which is about 3 cords less than with the 983.

sorry I should have specified, we have an unheated basement but the insert will be on the main floor living area and only intended to heat that area

I'm just about through my first season burning with a Buck model 81. So far I've been able to get a max 8 h

burn. Stove gets to cool to put out any useable heat and the blower shuts off at that time. I still have enough hot coals for several hrs after to make fire starting easy. Mine is located in the basement of a 1600 sq ft ranch. It is replacing a Hitzer 983 as my primary heating source. The 81 doesn't put out as much heat as the 983, but it does a decent job and I'm using almost half the wood. In hindsight, I wish I had a bigger firebox, but liked the looks of the 81 and I didn't want a catalytic stove. Useable heat comes only after about 30 minutes of burn and much less smoke from the chimney.
Thanks for the response. Thats my main corcern regarding The 81 is the smaller firebox than I want and I'm afraid i'll regret not getting a larger one

Without a doubt, the Montlake 300 is going to hold more fuel. It has a big N/S loading firebox that is deep and tall. That said, the insert is mostly going to heat the open area of the ranch. The bedrooms and bath down the hallway will get notably less heat. Unless the ceiling is very high, the Buck should do the job. Are any other brand stoves an option at the same or other dealers?