Buck Townsend III air control issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kyanite

Feb 6, 2022
Given, WV
My buck stove (Townsend III) air control is not functioning properly and their customer service was of no assistance. The screws came loose on the air control assembly so I took apart and reassembled per the owners manual. The stove now burns full on and the air control does not seem to do anything regardless if it's pushed in or pulled out. Since I took apart/rebuilt the air control arm is loose and "floppy" vs snug when stove was first purchased. The air control assembly seems like a simple design that has the control assembly hanging in 2 rod holder brackets, one at from of door and one under center of stove, not sure of issue. I replaced the door gasket and don't feel the air issue is due to a leak around door. Any thoughts?

air control.jpg
manual.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The air control should be a simple slider valve, that is a plate that slides over an opening that is the air intake. Make sure that the plate is sliding flush with the stove bottom.

The air control should be a simple slider valve, that is a plate that slides over an opening that is the air intake. Make sure that the plate is sliding flush with the stove bottom.
My issue is that there are 2 brackets, one pictured above and one further under stove that control handle hangs in/slides through. There is a lot if play between plate and opening. You can kind of see in pic below the hole in stove and the plate ( I know screw on right is not is, it is stripped but bracket is as snug as it gets). Is the plate supposed to slide snuggly over hole? if so I may need to try and take apart to fab something. Not sure where all the play came from. Thank you for responding.

closeup.jpg