Buck wood stove surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toddcarol

Feb 27, 2017
Kentucky
I have a standard fireplace with a Buck wood burning fireplace insert. The chimney has a 12" square tile flue, which creates quite a draft (or even a back draft on windy days) if our surround is removed, or not sealed tight against the hearth. What is a recommended method of upgrade/correction that would allow me to remove my surround? images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHLcbEV4b2HkX1MHbw3iX3Ca3ZAJiOCBup0mNgvQygMNIFlUC0KQ.jpg

Last edited:
I have a standard fireplace with a Buck wood burning fireplace insert. The chimney has a 12" square tile flue, which creates quite a draft (or even a back draft on windy days) if our surround is removed, or not sealed tight against the hearth. What is a recommended method of upgrade/correction that would allow me to remove my surround?View attachment 195365

You might want to post this up over in the wood burners threads or hopefully a mod will see it and move it for you. This is pellet stoves here.

It sounds like you have a slammer install where the insert is just set into the fireplace opening. Most hook up to a liner or pipe to flue up thru the existing 12" clay liners.

I have a standard fireplace with a Buck wood burning fireplace insert. The chimney has a 12" square tile flue, which creates quite a draft (or even a back draft on windy days) if our surround is removed, or not sealed tight against the hearth. What is a recommended method of upgrade/correction that would allow me to remove my surround?
You need a liner hooked to the stove and running out the top of the chimney. Running it without one is unsafe and inefficient. Not that an old buck will ever be that efficent but hooked up correctly it can be much better.

Reactions: bags