Bucking saw horse give opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool!

Judging by the scars on my bucking horse, if mine were made of metal, I'd be sharpening the chain more often. Why not just make one out of wood? They are more aesthetically in keeping with the whole "back to nature" look.

I liked the old homestead style bucking horse we had on my parent's farm. It was made from a HUGE round log that was drilled out for vertical wood pegs. As kids we used to sit on it and "ride" it like a horse.

It is pretty easy to make your own bucking stand if you find that the concept works for what you need to cut. Most folks are cutting logs that would be too much of a pain to lift into a stand, and you would often need two people to do it. That said they can be handy for the right situation, and you can make one that folds up and that is sized for the length cuts you want. If you do want one, build it out of wood for obvious reasons.

This wiki page has some good examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawbuck

I don't buck wood because of a back issue...but that is pretty impressive, and it hangs up too.

Those are pretty dry light logs he's putting in on it. I wonder how it would handle real heavy green wood? I put a half dozen or more 8 foot green wood logs 8 inches or smaller in my sawbuck.

Good for the small stuff,but what about 10-15 inch rounds or bigger. You not gonna pick up a 12 ft lenght of oak or locust thats 15 inches round.

Shamwow ... You'll be saying "Wow!!!" every time!!

Bahhhh,
For large pole lengths, cut em on the ground, go 3/4 the way through, then roll it and finish it off. No lifting involved.
Work smarter, not harder. for smaller ones, lay them over top you larger cuts and have at it.

Here is one I made after I built a bandsaw sawmill, them slabs piles really get out of hand fast, even for a one man operation.
The idea is load it up, fire up the saw and get it cut fast, so you do not have to listen to the saw running all the time.
Then take the wood from the saw buck, not from the ground under the sawbuck, and stack it in a pile.

As for it being steel, I do not allow the saw chain to contact my body because it takes too long to stop the blood so I can get back to work, so I do not allow the chain to make contact with the pipe because it takes too long to sharpen again.

Edit: did some work on pics to sharpen them up a bit

Attachments

• SawBuck1.jpg
    SawBuck1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,212
  • SawBuck2.jpg
    SawBuck2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 954
Status
Not open for further replies.