Buckthorn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trailz

Nov 1, 2020
Illinois
I've been helping a friend clear buckthorn and dead ash trees from his woods. He's offered all the wood to me but I'm only inclined to take the ash.

I'm worried that Buckthorn would cause build up in the venting (assuming it's been seasoned). Is this accurate?

Thanks

What is Buckthorn? Properly seasoned wood of any variety is safe to burn ...regardless of wood type proper maintenance of your chimney is always required...

Pretty much a invasive weed tree....im sure it will burn. Make sure you paint some herbicide on the fresh stump or you will get 3 buckthorn trees after cutting 1 down. Its a overtake type tree.

Reactions: Tar12
I've been clearing common buckthorn on my property for years. Stuff 2" and larger gets cut and stacked. Buckthorn is very dense. I do not know a BTU rating, but my guess is it is higher than oak. It makes fantastic firewood!! However, it does take a lot more time to accumulate any quantity compared to traditional firewood sources. I let it season for 3 years as the size ranges up to 6 inches on the big trunks...obviously, the 2" stuff wouldn't take that long, but my stacks are generally on a 3-year rotation anyway.

Always wondered what the name of that tree was. Not a nice tree... with the newer epa stoves, you can burn anything, as long as it is dried properly. If you need firewood I say take what you can.