budget 2020 epa stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fishcakes

Sep 30, 2022
nj
Hello all. I just purchased a little 900sq ft ranch with a full basement and need recommendations for a basement wood stove. I'm thinking to be safe and ensure decent heating, I should get something rated for around 1200sq ft to account for the cathedral ceiling in the living room.

I know you guys are big on jotul and drolet as budget options, but was wondering if there's something that would work for me in the $1000 range that Ive missed. Stove needs to be epa 2020 certified as it'll be a new install. Appreciate any info you guys are willing to bestow

Hello all. I just purchased a little 900sq ft ranch with a full basement and need recommendations for a basement wood stove. I'm thinking to be safe and ensure decent heating, I should get something rated for around 1200sq ft to account for the cathedral ceiling in the living room.

I know you guys are big on jotul and drolet as budget options, but was wondering if there's something that would work for me in the $1000 range that Ive missed. Stove needs to be epa 2020 certified as it'll be a new install. Appreciate any info you guys are willing to bestow
Jotul is absolutely not a budget brand at all. Drolet is probably the best bang for your buck.

Btw you absolutely can install a used pre 2020 stove in nj

Reactions: Hoytman
Jotul is absolutely not a budget brand at all. Drolet is probably the best bang for your buck.

Btw you absolutely can install a used pre 2020 stove in nj
the reasoning for the 2020 certification is that I need it inspected for insurance purposes

the reasoning for the 2020 certification is that I need it inspected for insurance purposes
Yes I figured that. But there is absolutely no reason a pre 2020 stove that is ul listed and installed to spec wouldn't pass inspection. 2020 certification is only required for new stove sales

Yes I figured that. But there is absolutely no reason a pre 2020 stove that is ul listed and installed to spec wouldn't pass inspection. 2020 certification is only required for new stove sales
oh! that's great. I wasn't aware of that. I was only able to find regulations about sales, not new installs. In that case, do you have any manufacturers that you'd recommend as far as used wood stoves? I'm in NJ if that makes any difference

oh! that's great. I wasn't aware of that. I was only able to find regulations about sales, not new installs. In that case, do you have any manufacturers that you'd recommend as far as used wood stoves? I'm in NJ if that makes any difference
That really depends upon lots of factors. Is the basement insulated? What chimney do you have?

That really depends upon lots of factors. Is the basement insulated? What chimney do you have?
it's a stone clay lined chimney running straight up to the roof. Had it inspected last week and chimney guy said I didn't need a liner.

Basement is uninsulated, but I plan to insulate the walls of the room that the stove will be installed in. The basement ceiling will be left uninsulated to allow better heat transfer to the floor above

Insulating the basement will make a big difference. How will the heat convect to the floor above?
Based on what has been described I would look at Drolet, but also the True North TN20 if N/S loading is desired.

So the chimney guy checked that all combustibles (drywall and studs etc) is more than 2" away from the outside of the brick of the chimney?

If not, you might still need an (insulated) liner.

If you buy used, there are many more brands that are good. Pacific Energy, Osburn (related to drolet) to name two.
It'll likely need to be a quick decision though, given the high demand for stoves now, in view of the high energy prices.

Reactions: Fishcakes
In used stoves, a Lopi Endeavor or Quadrafire Millenium 3100 would be nice, or a PE Super. All of these are N/S loaders.

What’s the insulation like for the rest of the house? Do you have wood put up yet? If you haven’t had the wood drying for a bit (don’t trust sellers to do it) you may want to work on insulation and air sealing this year, and put a stove in next year.

It can be very frustrating to burn wet wood.

Insulating the basement will make a big difference. How will the heat convect to the floor above?
Based on what has been described I would look at Drolet, but also the True North TN20 if N/S loading is desired.
there are open vents on the first floor leading to the basement to allow heat to transfer. the vent closest to the stove has a fan

What’s the insulation like for the rest of the house? Do you have wood put up yet? If you haven’t had the wood drying for a bit (don’t trust sellers to do it) you may want to work on insulation and air sealing this year, and put a stove in next year.

It can be very frustrating to burn wet wood.

House appears to be well insulated. There's a downed tree I've got to finish cutting up in my mom's yard that will be fuel for next year. I plan to buy 2 cords for this year. Reputable dealers in my area are suprisingly cheap

As an example to what BHoller said about pre-2020 stoves being allowed, my Lopi Liberty is only 1/10, that’s .1 difference in emissions compared to the new 2020 Liberty.

Scroll to page 5 showing 2.6 grams…

New Liberty scroll to bottom of page 6 showing 2.5 grams

For grins and so you know the year make of my Liberty …my Liberty is a 1998 model and only .1 difference compared to the 2020 version.

Last edited:
House appears to be well insulated. There's a downed tree I've got to finish cutting up in my mom's yard that will be fuel for next year. I plan to buy 2 cords for this year. Reputable dealers in my area are suprisingly cheap

The chance of buying wood dry enough to burn this winter is slim to none unless it is kiln dried and that costs a lot of money.

Also, don’t over look “Bio-blocks” or those similar from Tractor Supply as a means for a dry fuel if you don’t have access to good dry seasoned wood.

Just don’t overload the stove with them as there is no need to. Get a bed of coals going and add a bio block or two until you get the hang of how your stove operates.

Do not burn trash and or wax soaked logs in your stove.

By the way, the Drolet stoves have great following and posts here and elsewhere say their service is second to none. Their parts are also cheap in price and the stoves have few parts to begin with, which is good.

Those True North stoves also seem to have few parts, a good thing, have a great parent company and the price seems comparable to Drolet. So it’s good to have comparable options. I’m not all that familiar with this line of stoves but from a quick glance and knowing some information about their parent company is good enough for me.

Reactions: Fishcakes