Buffer vs Storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
I am trying to learn something about components I don't have incorporated in my system, that others of you may have in yours, such as buffer tanks, outdoor resets, hydraulic separators, fancier electronic control systems, low temp system designs, and the like. Thought I start by asking some things about buffer tanks I couldn't figure out from a site search and the Siegenthaler book.

Is there a functional difference between a buffer tank and a storage tank? You often see the terms used almost interchangeably. I don't quite understand the difference in application between the two in a wood burning system. Are buffer tanks and storage tanks ever used in tandem in a biomass fuel system? I did a search on-line and on-site, and read some interesting older threads on buffer tanks, but didn't come across any clear differentiation between the two.

I read that in conventional systems buffer tanks are used to to absorb excess heat (or cooling) to prevent short cycling. Are they primarily for systems without storage?

Mike

Last edited:
I read that in conventional systems buffer tanks are used to to absorb excess heat (or cooling) to prevent short cycling. Are they primarily for systems without storage?
They're used in pellet boiler systems. The thought is that you want to let them run for a while. Mine is 120 gallons, a common size.

I think the thought with storage and wood boilers is that you can run the boiler flat out with the storage tank, which is about 500-1000 gal or so, absorbing all the heat, avoiding creosote formation associated with boiler cycling.

That being said, I believe there is a member here who has both a storage and buffer tank. I'm not sure why.

So, if I understand what you're saying Velvetfoot, is you can run your pellet boiler longer because your 120 gallon buffer tank absorbs excess heat produced but not immediately utilized by your heating emitters. My understanding of storage, which is what I've got, is exactly as you put it. Maybe storage is no more than a giant buffer tank.

Mike

Last edited:
I'd say that's true, but as I said, there is a member here who I recall uses a buffer tank along with a storage tank.

I don't have an outdoor reset,and have wondered if i am missing out on something.
My system seems to work fine in warm and cold weather.It is a very simple system so i wonder sometimes if i could get more efficiency with adding some gizmos.
I always seem to have other projects to work on so my system just keeps working away,someday mabe i will get a chance to revisit it and fine tune it.
I have 1000 gal storage tanks with a Econoburn,we fire up around 5PM every night,if the weather drops below -20C then some times we fire a little earlier if it is -40C then we start the fire around 3PM.Usual shutdown of the boiler is at 11PM
This gets the storage to max temps of the boiler when it hit`s it`s high limit,which is around 185 F.We use the water at that temp in our CI rads that are controlled by TRV`s We have a cobbled together heat exchanger in the basement that has a fan on it,once the water temp goes below 125F the fan doesn't kick on anymore.
It all seems to work,but i also have a circulating pump running 24/7 that pumps to the house from the boiler room,which doesn't allow the storage to stratify which i have read about on here lots.I have always wondered if the pump only ran when there is a call for heat,maybe i would get more BTU's out of the storage.
But for now it works and is simple.
And i think that i may build another system for a shop i am building so my home system will just have to continue to plug away in it's simple form keeping us warm no matter what mother nature tosses our way.

What is a Buffer Tank/Hydraulic Separator? A Buffer Tank/Hydraulic Separator is designed to maximize the runtime and limit the on/off cycling of a boiler while separating the boiler flow from the system flow. In applications where the minimum system load is less than the minimum output of the boiler there is a high propensity for the boiler to excessively cycle on and off due to the fact that the boiler is delivering more BTU’s than the system is requiring. In this case the Buffer Tank is designed to act as a battery for BTU’s. The system demand is met by using BTU’s that are already stored in the tank and thus delaying the boiler from initiating a heating cycle until a minimum run time can be accomplished. The Hydraulic Separator aspect of the tank is designed to de-couple the hydronic heating system flow from the boiler flow by acting as a “separator” so that the two independent flows do not affect one another. When the system flow is less than the minimum required boiler flow there will likely be erratic system delivery temperatures and excessive boiler cycling. These adverse affects can cause premature component failure, and in most cases, boiler efficiency will be adversely affected.

When Should a Buffer Tank/Hydraulic Separator be applied? A Buffer Tank/Hydraulic Separator can be applied to keep the boiler from short cycling in situations where the smallest building demand is less than the minimum rated output of the boiler and/or in situations where system flow is less than the flow required by the boiler. For example, assume that during a warm spring day there is only a fractional demand for heat where the actual demand is 50,000 BTU/Hr., but the boiler cannot deliver less than 150,000 BTU/Hr at its lowest output. On days that meet this criteria the boiler will cycle excessively because more BTU’s are being produced than the distribution system can transfer to the building. A properly sized buffer tank in this situation will limit the number of boiler “on/off” cycles and increase the comfort level of the building by delivering a more constant temperature. Additionally, during these days of fractional demand the system flow may be less than the boiler flow due to system pumps slowing because the demand is less than the design load. In this case the Hydraulic Separator acts as a decoupling device and the decreased system flow will not affect the operation of the boilers. By effectively separating the system flow from the boiler flow, a more constant delivery temperature, as well as longer boiler operational cycles, can be achieved. Reducing boiler on/off cycles will increase boiler efficiency and reduce maintenance costs.

Salecker, I looked up on a conversion table what -29C to -40C temperatures meant in Fahrenheit. I can barely imagine surviving at temperatures approaching the equivalent of -40F. My hats off to you. The coldest temperature I've experienced was -13F once when living in upstate New York. That alone convinced me to move south to Virginia.

Like you, I've made our system simple as possible. My Tarm Solo Innova 50 heats a 1000 gallons of pressurized storage from 140F to 180F in roughly 2-3 hours or more once a day. I sometimes burn twice a day if the outdoor temperature gets down into the 20'sF. That would doubtless seem like balmy days to you, though we complain bitterly as befits transplanted Southerners. Heated storage is pumped directly to to a w/a hx over our furnace, which in fan-only mode circulates the warmed air into our home keeping it a toasty 70F. A flat plate hx is similarly heated to keep our DHW warm. It's a simple system and has been working great now for almost two years.

Our loading unit circ does shut off when the storage gets just over 180 which does enable better stratification. I recently as an experiment and adjusted the Grundfos 3 speed circ serving the w/a hx to its lowest speed and noted a marked improvement in tank stratification. That got me thinking about further system tweaks or improvements that might improve overall system performance. By the way, what's a Cl rad?

Huffdawg, Ive been looking at and studying your system with the link you provided. It's an impressive operation. I liked your public display panel real time readouts too. I've got to figure out how to do that some day. Thank you for your detailed explanation of how a buffer tank and hydraulic separator function. How many gallons does your buffer/hydraulic separator hold to perform its function? If you don't mind a another question, you appear to have storage to in addition to your buffer tank. Does the function of the buffer tank overlap with the function of storage to absorb excess heat, or is its function entirely different. Thanks so much.

By the way, huffdawg, in the "What's wrong with this picture department", with your public display I can sit in the comfort of my own home a look at the current readouts of your storage tanks all the way from British Columbia. In order to look at my own storage temp readouts I have to run out into the freezing cold garage where our storage tank is. My Azels don't read out even remotely accurately with more than five feet of wire between the gauge and its probes, unlike advertised. You've got the cat's meow with your display.

Mike

Last edited:
If you do add a tank, make it serve multiple purposes. A buffer or storage can be built and piped to be a buffer, separator, and storage all in one. By default it serves as air and dirt removal.

the latest design idea is a two pipe tank. This came from the Austrians originally, as far as I know for pellet boilers. The size of the tank really depends on how you want to run the system.

Fast responding, modulating pellet or chip boilers may get away with less volume.

The Biomass sticky up top has some excellent piping ideas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 9.00.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 9.00.06 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 615
Bob, my thousand gallons of storage is plumbed like the two pipe tank picture above. I copied this arrangement from the "single tank connections" arrangement" in Tarm Biomass' PT3 plumbing schematic, page 21 of http://www.woodboilers.com/images/stories/documents/woodboilerplumbingschematic1211.pdf. Does this make my storage tank a buffer tank too? The terminology "buffer' and "storage" is confusing, especially since one can be both, not to mention an hydraulic separator as well. How would you differentiate the terms?

Mike

Last edited:
I would consider both the same thing. It is just a matter of capacity.
The basic concept is to prevent short cycling and idling on any boiler.

Ok, I'm rusty here, but in the past it seemed the term "buffer" was typically used for a smaller capacity storage tank. For example, since my run was so long from our storage to the HX, I considered adding a 50-100 gal buffer in the house near the HX to reduce the time rise for hot water to get to the HX. My goal was to reduce fan on time. Both store energy, my impression, buffer often used for a much smaller tank. BTW, our system is working so well I got lazy about adding that buffer. Cheers

I put in the Buffer/Hydraulic because my storage tanks are in a separate space from my boiler room . It seemed like an easier more simple way to pipe together.. It also gives me an extra 150 gallons of capacity and combined with the Vesta controller it's working great as a hydraulic separator.. Dogwood I cheated by copy and pasting that explanation . It was easier then me trying to explain and type with my limited typing skills. My system is actually piped a bit different than what is on the display. It is now 2 opposed circs between the buffer and storage. Works a whole lot better than what is shown.

Thanks Bob, Tom and Tennman. I think I've got it.

I just watched a Taco video http://apps.taco-hvac.com/training/buffer_tank_hw/learn.html on sizing buffer tanks. Taco mentioned two purposes for a buffer tank, preventing short cycling, as Huffdawg explained, and providing storage for excess btu's. It seems the common parlance is to refer to the tank as a buffer tank when focused more on preventing short cycling, requiring relatively smaller tank capacities; or referring to the tank as storage when focused more on stockpiling excess btu's, requiring relatively larger tank capacities. As you say the terms can be used interchangeably.

Another hydronics mystery unraveled. I think if I figure out much more you hydronics pro's are going to have to give me a visitor's pass to the inner sanctum. Thanks all.

Mike

Last edited:
I put in the Buffer/Hydraulic because my storage tanks are in a separate space from my boiler room . It seemed like an easier more simple way to pipe together.. It also gives me an extra 150 gallons of capacity and combined with the Vesta controller it's working great as a hydraulic separator. Dogwood I cheated by copy and pasting that explanation . It was easier then me trying to explain and type with my limited typing skills. My system is actually piped a bit different than what is on the display. It is now 2 opposed circs between the buffer and storage. Works a whole lot better than what is shown.

Huff, that was a great explanation, cut and pasted or not. I was speculating maybe your storage was an add-on to an existing system. What exactly do opposed circs do?

Mike

Tekmar has some good reading on outdoor reset, I changed over last year about this time. You will find mixing from storage can be done with a modulating 3 way valve or a modulating circ. The benefits I experience are very little thermostat cycling, as a controlled design mix is circulating all day on a low flow circ. I was able to reduce the flow from storage as the mix temp changes rather slowly over the course of the day, depending on storage temp and mix design requirement, my flow from storage fluctuates from 1-5gpm, this is also possible as the design temp for my worst day is 148degf. Where I see real benefits is during times of solar gain in the house, my design temp might start out at 130 at 5 am by 11am it might reduce to 112 for the bulk of the day and ramp up towards evening. So basically I can leave the house with 140 in storage and the design temp is only 115 when I get home, with storage still being productive at 120. What I'm saying is that odr works well with the rhythm of storage and firing., I should note I have indoor feedback with odr. Indoor feedback can adjust or shift the curve to meet the house requirements based on wind, sun, no sun ect.
In the end the house is better controlled, my flows are down and it makes your system a little more flexible. My house demands haven't changed and I can run storage much longer, system is quieter also, hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time and explaining how you have your system designed and operating with outdoor reset TCaldwell. Now that I think I understand the buffer/storage tank concept, understanding outdoor reset, of which I know nothing, is up next. I am going to have to study your reply carefully and will find the Tekmar material you mentioned to start to get a handle on it. So far I am getting the idea the goal of ODR is to keep the indoor house temperature more steady and even by decreasing cycling, and delivering a more constant, lower temperature hot water supply to your emitters. Looks like you accomplished this via modulating mixing valves controlled by the outdoor reset programming which responds to outdoor temps? If you're able to run storage much longer than before that's quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

What sort of emitters do you have in your home TCaldwell? Are they low temp emitters? I'm hoping the ODR would be compatible with our use of w/a hx designed around a 180-140 degree supply in a forced hot air system. And if you don't mind my asking, is a modulating mixing valve a motorized mixing valve that responds to a Tekmar or other program. I'll study the Tekmar material before I burden you and others with a slew of stupid questions. Thank for a very helpful response.

Last edited:
Dogwood, I'm using a split capacitor grundfos 15-58 circ for mixing the desired odr temp between the garn flat plate and the injection loop closely spaced t's that serv the supply and return zone manifolds. My emitters are primarily fin tube and a few ci rads, not sure how odr would work with w/a hx.
My system is a little unorthodox as I'm currently using the 0/10vdc boiler modulation signal ( meant to modulate a gas valve on a boiler to attain a odr mix temp), to modulate the above circ. The control is good by throttling the circ isolation valve to give the circ some authority.
However I'm changing it up a little, thankfully the Tekmar will also output the odr temp in a linear 0-10vdc signal. That signal will become a remote set point in a separate pid controller, also a thermocouple will be strapped to the zone supply header this will be the process value input to the pid, the output will modulate the circ. With the adjustability of the pid, hopefully I won't have to throttle circ isolation valve and attain tighter control.
Tekmar has simpler integrated controls than what I'm doing to get you going.

TCaldwell, thanks again for sharing how your outdoor reset is operating and how you're upgrading it's operation. Its plain to see I've got some studying to do before getting anywhere near your proficiency in outdoor reset application. I did glance through the installation instructions of a simpler Tekmar 256 outdoor reset. It showed a programming curve choice compatible with a fancoil or air handling unit application, which would seem similar enough to our w/a hx setup to be workable.

If you have a minute, I noticed in your signature you have an o2 controlled Garn. How did you manage that?

Mike

Last edited:
So I am planning a new house build this summer and want to have ODR. I'm think that we will be using "warmboard S" with a propane boiler to start with so that we can get in the house then I will build a detached boiler room to put in a wood boiler and storage. So this is where I start to get confused. With the warmboard my tube spacing is fixed, so if I have different heat requirements in say a small office as opposed to a living room with 3 outside wall how would I heat the living room without over heating the office, while using ODR? Do I use a zone actuator and thermostat? Or do I just throttle back the office circuit with a valve, there for bringing down the average water temp in the office? I ran some rough numbers and came up with 20 BTU's/Hr/sqft in the living room and if I remember right like 9 BTU's/hr/sqft in the office. The living room was the biggest load so would I just throttle every other room in the house back from the temp that is required in the living room? Do you even have thermostats when you have ODR or do you just have a controller to shift the line up or do like Tcaldwell mentioned? So many questions ;) I hope this is still on topic of the original post.

I checked out your older posts on the o2 control and will watch the videos when I have a moment. You received plenty of compliments on that installation then, but you can add one more. That was really something, and well thought out too. Take it easy, TCaldwell. Thanks again.

Mike

Dutchie84, I know as much about outdoor resets as I do about surfing conditions in Nova Scotia, which is to say not a lot. I'm just learning. I would suggest initiating a new thread on the subject, that I, as well as others, would be interested in reading too. Good luck with your homebuilding project. That's an area I'm a bit more conversant in.

Mike

Dutchie84,

Warmboard costs add up but then you don't have to insulate the underside of the floor. If I was you I'd compare it to setting the PEX in gypcrete as you gain a lot of mass. On the downside response to adjustments is slow so don't expect to be able to set back your room temps very far. You also might want to think about a fan coil unit and a few ducts for those days where you just want to take the chill off like on a cloudy 50 degree day.

I home ran every room on the second floor in the house, first floor has 2 zones. My flexibility is endless and I'm very glad I did.

If you start a new thread I'd be happy to supply you with my insight because it sure is cheaper to do it once from the start. Be very careful on boiler choices.