Bug bites while splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the bites, but they are not as bad as they were. I think some of them on other parts of my body may be spider bites unrelated to splitting the wood. Not sure about other bugs, but the tent worms around here have been insane - I do not remember seeing so many in past years. It seems as though they are preparing their cacoons though so thats good.

I vote chiggers too, especially with bites clustered like that. They are often in tall grass when its wet, like with morning dew, and then hide in dead leaves or other shady spots during the heat of the day. I hiked the Appalachain Trail a few years ago, and the worst chiggers were in West Virginia and Virginia.
Most of the thru-hikers carried clear nail polish. You put a dab on each bump, as it is actually a chigger feeding on you, not unlike a tick. The nail polish suffocates them and your body absorbs them in pretty short order.

Death to the Maine black flies . . . it's the one thing I hate about living in Maine . . . not sure if they're the same black flies that other folks get . . . but I hate the swarms of these buggers, ripping and tearing at your skin, flying into your eyes, nose, ears, etc. and it's not Spring unless you've eaten at least 5 of them before the die off. Come on hot weather . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.