Building a cabin next year, and want to heat with wood....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

echap

Nov 21, 2018
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi guys, been reading the forum for a short while, as I plan my new cabin build for next summer. Cabin, which is located in Northern Lower Michigan, is going to be 16x40x8, have 3 rooms (main/bed/bath) and only used in the winter occasionally. Most use will be in summer months and will need the woodstove for deer season, early spring/late fall, and occasional winter trips. I have a bunch of Oak that I had at our house for campfires, from a few trees that we removed 5 years ago, and am planning on using that as it’s well seasoned, and putting more wood away for the future. So I have the wood part figured out based on what I have read here.

The company that my wife works for is a wholesale distributer for Vermont Castings, so I originally figured I would buy an Intrepid 2 at wholesale cost, and be done with it, but then I started reading here and now I am not so sure since you guys don’t seem to love VC, lol.

I have never had a woodstove, but always wanted one, so I am open to any advice. I am having trouble finding a small enough stove that won’t roast us out. Seems like the smaller stoves are not able to hold a fire overnight, and since this is the main heat, that’s what I want.

So that’s where I am at this point, got lots of time to plan and learn. Sorry for being a newb. My situation seems unique in that I can build it however I need to build it to be safe. I already checked with my insurance company, and they are fine with new construction build to be safe. Am planning on having outside combustion air, single wall pipe to near ceiling, then stainless thru ceiling and roof. I am guessing that the total flue will be around 10-11’ above stove. Roof will be steel roofing and will box out to keep insulation from the A-vent pipe in attic.

I really want to have glass on the front to be able to watch the fire. I am not afraid to learn to use a cat stove. When I am up there, got lots of free time.

ETA: One other question is that sizing of stoves, are the sq ft numbers to be followed or is there some room for a smaller fire, yada yada?

Last edited:
I think it all depends how much money you want to spend. Cat stove may not benefit you if you are not burning them for long time. It sounds to me like you will need a good quality tube stove something on a bigger size like 3cf fire box.

Get something with at least 2 cu ft. If you are trying to save some $$ look at Drolet, Englander and the True North TN20 stoves.

Yes, they could get overheated with a 3 cu ft stove if you are there for a week and have the stove running 24/7. However, unless there is supplemental heat, it's going to take a lot of extra BTUs to initially warm up the cabin. You are not just heating up the air in the cabin but all the mass of the structure, plus floors cabinets and furniture. A 2 cu ft stove strikes a happy medium and still will have coals in the morning for a restart.

The Drolet Escape 1800, the Englander 50SSW01, the True North TN20 all fit this bill and are good values. If you want something prettier there is the Hampton H300 and Hearthstone Shelburne.

A big stove with good turn down can fit a smaller space, and you want a big stove to heat up an unheated cabin, hopefully before the weekend is over.

"You can burn a small fire in a big stove, but you can't burn a big fire in a small stove."

that's a good point about heating the entire structure. So for a 2-3 day fire, there is less risk of to big a stove than if it was fulltime? That makes a lot of sense. My wives company also has Quadra-fire that we can get a deal on as well. Seems that the steel stoves are a lot cheaper than the Cast Iron stoves. Are there any trade offs between cast iron and steel?

Last edited:
Good deal. In Quadrafire take a look at the 2 cu. ft. model 3100. Quad also sells cast iron jacketed steel stoves in their Explorer line. These stoves are beautiful but more expensive because of the extra jacket of cast iron. This jacket buffers and softens the heat output. This is great for your fall and spring outings at the cabin, but in winter you may want a more radiant stove to more quickly warm up walls and furniture surrounding the stove. Both designs will work, but one might take a bit longer to heat up the place. The downside of a radiant stove will be higher clearances. The Hampton and Hearthstone stoves suggested are pure cast iron stoves. They will be more radiant.

A value line of HHT's Quad stoves is in the Heatilator line. The WS18 is a model worth looking at too, especially if you can get it at a discount. The other thing to note is that the stove is going to need adequate draft to burn well. If the cabin flue system length is going to be on the short side then having a stove that can deal with a short flue is important. The Drolet, Hampton and True North will work on a 12' flue, the Quad/Heatilator 14', while the others are going to need at least 15' to work properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacktail
When it's 15° and blowing, I doubt you'll say "I wish I'd bought a smaller stove."

Reactions: begreen