• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem, I've had 2 Masons look at it so far. I don't know who to believe that's why I'm asking to try and get a little background information. I'll find a picture of the inside.
The inside also has some white on some of the mortar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 165
It's good to get a second or third opinion. What was the opinion of the masons that have looked at this?

Maybe find a mason that has restored historic fireplaces and chimneys. You’re doing essentially a restoration of what you can salvage. In some cases restoring can be just as expensive as starting over because of the effort to save what is there. If the block wall in the basement is good, which it should be if the mortar is hard then that seems like the only portion worth leaving in place. Only an expert mason’s inspection can give you a final answer. Have you talked to a carpenter? They have to rebuild your wood framed wall and to do that with the old chimney in place may be difficult. Also you have jack studs up against the chimney that form the rough opening, are they rotted? They can’t be easily replaced with the chimney in place and all of the new construction has to prevent future water infiltration, much easier to accomplish by starting over.

The one that will install propane insert forwarded me to masons, he seems to think it can be done. The one that tore the chimney down said it would be less expensive to enclose what is there with exterior walls and use a vent free unit. He's too busy to come back, just left me the way it is. He said the back can't come down without having the inside come down.

I was just told that someone else can build a chimney with masonry on the bottom and where it hits the roof a metal chimney up? Is that true?? How does the metal attach to the masonry?? It seems like that could cut some costs? If that is true, why not build it that way in the state that it's in now... make the rest of it be metal with framing around it... Of course he's not available till next year and has no time to actually look at in person outside of images.

Still waiting for someone else to come look.

The carpenter repaired the stud ABOVE the fireplace. That won't be adequate?

I was told that if I close up the opening and leave it the way it is it won't fall down.

As I see it I am left with vent free propane unit, or electric, or freestanding propane and vent out the back.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
No offense but the interior fireplace is nice, but not exceptional. It could be reproduced or just leave the hearth and build a conventional wall behind the stove. This can be clad with stone removed from the current fireplace if desired. Whatever the decision if propane is the fuel then my preference would be to install a direct vent unit and not a vent-free gas heater.

Reactions: bholler
it's not that it's the most beautiful, but it is a solid stone fireplace, there is value in that and most importantly cost is the key factor.
I do not want vent free, but it is a way to keep what I have and the least expensive. Also, an insert is the look I am after. If I saw a freestanding stove that was nice I might be more excited. I can't get what I want that's why I'm hear for suggestions.
I just saw this vent free unit.
http://www.hearthcabinet.com/
not so cheap but an option.
My first question was how much is it going to cost to rebuild a chimney, the answer is VERY expensive.

Cheaper is why I suggested tearing all but the hearth out and rebuild the wall conventionally. Jotul makes some nice looking cast iron freestanding gas stoves like the GF300.

I was just told that someone else can build a chimney with masonry on the bottom and where it hits the roof a metal chimney up? Is that true?? How does the metal attach to the masonry?? It seems like that could cut some costs? If that is true, why not build it that way in the state that it's in now... make the rest of it be metal with framing around it...

does anyone know this ??
thanks!!!

does anyone know this ??
thanks!!!
Yes you can transition from masonry to metal chimney. But what you have would still need to be rebuilt. From the pics it looks like it is in pretty bad shape. If you were going to transition to metal you would build the firebox and smoke chamber then transition from there. going that direction the labor would be less but the materials will be more. It is worth pricing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.