Building a new home after fire, need insert advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

painful100

Nov 13, 2017
Santa Cruz, Ca
Hi folks, I am rebuilding my home after losing it in the Czu fire. I previously had a regency CI2600 insert. I loved it, only drawback was that I couldn’t load 16’s north to south, and that the glass was got a little Smokey quickly.

I am thinking of getting the same one, but wondered if anyone had other suggestions that were similar/top quality. We definitely want an insert, and I like a big box with a big window to view the fire. The 2600 always had coals left in the morning which was nice, so I didn’t have to scramble to start a new fire.

thank you for the suggestions

If rebuilding, why build a new masonry fireplace or was the old one spared? If this is going into the old fireplace then what are the full dimensions of the firebox?

If rebuilding, why build a new masonry fireplace or was the old one spared? If this is going into the old fireplace then what are the full dimensions of the firebox?
We like the look , it’s a lodge style living room. We can build the box in any size, and make it look like a fireplace. Does that make sense?

no you cant use a insert unless its a actual masonary fireplace.

Framing it out and making it a fake fireplace to house the insert is not allowed.

We like the look , it’s a lodge style living room. We can build the box in any size, and make it look like a fireplace. Does that make sense?
You can't just make it look like a fireplace you need to build an actual code compliant fireplace

If building new, put in a modern EPA Zero Clearance fireplace. It can be finished and trimmed out to look like a classic fireplace, but will provide good heat. Many of these units have the added benefit of having ductable heat output to deliver warm air to another part of the house for more even heating.

There is at least one ZC unit, the Astria Montecito Estate, that qualifies for the 26% tax credit, and that is on the whole installation.
Here are some other good units to consider:

Reactions: painful100
If building new, put in a modern EPA Zero Clearance fireplace. It can be finished and trimmed out to look like a classic fireplace, but will provide good heat. Many of these units have the added benefit of having ductable heat output to deliver warm air to another part of the house for more even heating.

There is at least one ZC unit, the Astria Montecito Estate, that qualifies for the 26% tax credit, and that is on the whole installation.
Here are some other good units to consider:
Thanks for the suggestions. Have you heard of the kozy heat z42? I like the fact that the Astria is eligible for the tax credit.

After doing some more research, your comments, and visiting a local wood stove shop I have a little more of an idea of what I’m looking for. Looks like I want a zero clearance fireplace. So what I’m looking for is a big box, with the ability for a long burn time, and good size viewing glass. My local shop sells the kozy heat z42 (one with dampening), and the rsf opal 3 with catalytic. Neither of those are eligible for a tax credit in ca. Should I be looking at other models/stores? Which gives longer burn times?

From what I’ve been reading people tend to stay away from the catalytic options,. I had the regency ci2600 and the catalytic thing was kinda cool. I only engaged it at night though before bed because I enjoyed watching the flames when I was awake.

So what I’m looking for is a big box, with the ability for a long burn time, and good size viewing glass. My local shop sells the kozy heat z42 (one with dampening), and the rsf opal 3 with catalytic. Neither of those are eligible for a tax credit
Are you sure you want a zero clearance? There are lots more options for tax credit eligible free standing stoves. Maybe an alcove installation? How far into the design/building process are you? As stated before there is only 1 zero clearance fireplace that is tax credit eligible.

After doing some more research, your comments, and visiting a local wood stove shop I have a little more of an idea of what I’m looking for. Looks like I want a zero clearance fireplace. So what I’m looking for is a big box, with the ability for a long burn time, and good size viewing glass. My local shop sells the kozy heat z42 (one with dampening), and the rsf opal 3 with catalytic. Neither of those are eligible for a tax credit in ca. Should I be looking at other models/stores? Which gives longer burn times?

From what I’ve been reading people tend to stay away from the catalytic options,. I had the regency ci2600 and the catalytic thing was kinda cool. I only engaged it at night though before bed because I enjoyed watching the flames when I was awake.
Just so you know that is not at all how you should have operated that stove. Once up to temp the bypass should always be shut. It should still give decent flames unless you shut the air way down.

Reactions: moresnow
Just so you know that is not at all how you should have operated that stove. Once up to temp the bypass should always be shut. It should still give decent flames unless you shut the air way down.
My understanding was that it’s a hybrid and doesn’t need to always go through the cat. Worked fine that way for years. Doesn’t matter now though.

I would think that with the bypass open that most of the heat would go straight up the flue. This would drop the firebox temp and prevent proper air injection from the secondary tube which is in front of the flue outlet. It also seems like this would be hard on the liner when it sustained high temps.

I would think that with the bypass open that most of the heat would go straight up the flue. This would drop the firebox temp and prevent proper air injection from the secondary tube which is in front of the flue outlet. It also seems like this would be hard on the liner when it sustained high temps.
Also can lead to cracks or warping around the bypass