Building a pellet stove pad - question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mury

Jun 20, 2008
NH
I know you're supposed to use tile over cement board, but can you raise the whole thing on a platform? Maybe 6 inches or so? If so, how close should boards be beneath the pad so the stove does not go crashing through? There is hardwood flooring where the stove will be and I don't want to damage it with the heat from the stove. Also the floor is not level because the house is old. Thanks!

I'm assuming the requirements for your stove are for only a non-combustible pad? If so, yes, you can build a frame out of 2x4s topped with plywood (at least 1/2") and then top all that with your concrete board and tile. I think mine is about 4-5" tall.

When you build the pad take note of the footprint of where your stove will sit and where on the pad its weight will be carried. You can shore up this area by making sure there are 2x4 supports directly under where the stove will sit. And you'll need to build your pad so it is level... you'll have to deal with your floor issue when you build the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.