Building a Perminate Place Season / Store Wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I sit here and watch the snow melt away I am thinking of where to start my next wood pile. I have a place behind the shop that I have used for several years. But it is covered with grass (sort of) so that means putting pallets down and moving them as the wood gets used etc. I am sure you are all aware of the drill!.

Thinking of putting some concrete down and a permanent roof. Question is, would it be good to place the firewood directly on concrete, or should it still be up off the ground? Further would the roof inhibit drying? Would it help any to make it out of something like Plexiglas to get a greenhouse effect?

I would actually make the floor out of wood - kinda like in a bank barn or build around a deck. You'll get airflow from the bottom that way, too, and it would also be less expensive. As for "greehouse" style, I don't know. But, definitely leave it open on a side or two, and use wood siding for better ventilation (vs. metal or vinyl).

'course, you might not see any difference at all between the different advice you get here. I would feel comfortable putting my wood directly on the floor if there won't be any rain or snow blowing in and making puddles. Otherwise, why not just lay 2x4s across the floor parallel to each other, and make your stacks on that?

Edit: Looking over your question again - the roof isn't going to inhibit drying any more than sheet metal covers or tarps. Probably less...

Serious wood burner ? Build a real woodshed for the stacks: clear corregated fibreglass roof, spaced board sides and rear, open front, free pallets for the floor. Google "Woodshed Plans" for a simple, easy to build, cheap, poled--softwood scrap trees 5" to 8" DBH, on deck supports. Excluding the "pole" cutting and debarking, our 16' x 8' shed went up in an easy day. Under $100. for the roof. Plenty of air flow for drying, no rain or snow, room to cart the wood into the stove.

Anything permanent, like a concrete pad, might be a detriment to selling your house.

I thinking up in Alberta you have to be good for a minimum of 25 face cords a year. Up there you don't have much topsoil the quickest pad you could do would be to lay some poly vapor barrier down where you want to stack wood then just lay down 6" of run a crush or washed stone down and stack your wood on that.

As long as this hasty pad isn't in a depression water wont collect around your wood and you wont have to dick around with pallets. Stacking wood on stones is real smooth...Ive been doing that for about 8 years. Just rake up the tailings and burn them occasionally.

Nothing wrong with using pallets but if you walk on them they have been known to break and be a general hassle. In rolls they work out OK but if you gang bang them to stack 20FC in a square like pattern like I use to...it's not a present experience to withdraw wood in the snow. Good luck and let us know what you decide and why...most of us are always looking for a better more time saving way to do things.

Edit to add not that I'm anti roof but imo wood seasons best exposed to all the elements...I don't tarp mine over over until I know a lasting snow is coming...sometime that's in Nov...occasionally in Dec.

Well seasoned wood makes a beautiful burn.

I've seen some fairly slick pole type structures with 8x12 (or so)removable walls and a traditional asphalt shingled roof.
Anything permanent I have to pay taxes on. On skids I don't. I like skids.

Status
Not open for further replies.