Building a rised hearth,to install a Osborne 1800 insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Moved into a new house the fireplace opening is 12" higher then floor. I will have to build a rised hearth.
How do I do this?. The rep said the eazy way would be frame out a box the size I need ( like how you would do a concrete step) put soild cinder bock in it and fill with concrete,then tile it. Does this make sense? My wife would not be please if she came home and there was a 4x2x1 block in her living room that I could not tile.
Putting a liner in is it hard to do 1 story house low pitch roof? Is the Osborn 1800 good.

For the Osburn 1800, if your current hearth is at least 4" above the floor (you're at 12"), then all you need is non-combustible material for the hearth extension, meaning you could skip the concrete block and just put tile (or whatever non-combustible) down instead of what the floor is now.

The current hearth is marble tile that is part of the floor. So it is not rised at tall. The fireplace opening is 12" above the marble tile.

fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In this circumstance have you considered installing a flush fireplace that wouldn't need a raised hearth? I'm thinking the Osburn Matrix, Morso 5660, Regency Alterra, Pacific Energy Neo, etc..

I looked into that but they seem too cost more.
Is it true that you need a 11x11 chimerly to but a liner in?

More than when the cost of building a raised hearth is included?
An insulated 6" liner will be about 7.5" in diameter. If there are no mortar globs and it is a straight shot down then a 9x9" ID chimney should work. But there are many other chimney shapes and not all are square. There are other solutions depending on what your chimney tile ID is.

The Osborn is too big and 500 more. The others were even more.
So I should get the insulation kit for the liner? It is important?

I ordered a Osborn 1800 ,ss liner ,insulation kit. Going to frame a box for the hearth and use cement board to get correct r rating.

I had the same problem when installing my pacific energy FP30 fireplace it was high off the floor, but I went with the clearance specs required for the stove for clearances and build my hearth out of a 2x4 wood frame, and hardie board which I rocked over, and used a cast concrete slab as the seating area.

fireplace.jpg.

Last edited by a moderator: