Iowa
Research Alcove install here.

Reactions: Highbeam

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The pictures shown all look like masonry fireplaces. This type of install is more commonly seen in England where they are in an old masonry fireplace with a plaster face. This is not the case if one is building it from scratch typically and it can be a poorer way to heat. A freestanding stove out in the open or in a tall shallow alcove will heat better.

Can you post some drawings showing design. A picture of where the stove is going will also help. Will the stove be for heating or more for ambiance?

This is a more common alcove install. The stove wall back is not necessary if a cleaner look is desired.
alcove.png

Last edited:

synch629

Mar 26, 2020
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I do not have a design at the moment, I am trying to get an idea of what might even be possible. This is the look I like, and a more shallow alcove would definitely still fit my wants. The space is not huge, and I’d like to maximize what space I have as much as possible.

it is about 6ft long and about 4ft deep. Ideally I don’t want the alcove space to take the entire wall up.

Attachments

synch629

Mar 26, 2020
Idaho Springs, Colorado
The pictures shown all look like masonry fireplaces. This type of install is more commonly seen in England where they are in an old masonry fireplace with a plaster face. This is not the case if one is building it from scratch typically and it can be a poorer way to heat. A freestanding stove out in the open or in a tall shallow alcove will heat better.

Can you post some drawings showing design. A picture of where the stove is going will also help. Will the stove be for heating or more for ambiance?

This is a more common alcove install. The stove wall back is not necessary if a cleaner look is desired.
View attachment 258689
Also- it would be more of an aesthetic stove, though additionally heating would not be unwelcome.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Is there natural gas in the house? That would be an easier install with lower constraints.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
I did a similar install as the first pic you posted. I made it out of metal 2x4's and cement board. its all open on top behind a fake wall. Worked out great for my install.

Attachments