Building around a wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

synch629

Mar 26, 2020
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I am looking at installing something like this. Is this a realistic option if I am using a noncombustible material around the wood burning stove?
WBS3.jpgWBS2.jpgWBS.jpg

The pictures shown all look like masonry fireplaces. This type of install is more commonly seen in England where they are in an old masonry fireplace with a plaster face. This is not the case if one is building it from scratch typically and it can be a poorer way to heat. A freestanding stove out in the open or in a tall shallow alcove will heat better.

Can you post some drawings showing design. A picture of where the stove is going will also help. Will the stove be for heating or more for ambiance?

This is a more common alcove install. The stove wall back is not necessary if a cleaner look is desired.
alcove.png

Last edited:
I do not have a design at the moment, I am trying to get an idea of what might even be possible. This is the look I like, and a more shallow alcove would definitely still fit my wants. The space is not huge, and I’d like to maximize what space I have as much as possible.

it is about 6ft long and about 4ft deep. Ideally I don’t want the alcove space to take the entire wall up.

Attachments

• D9A2D8E8-62A2-460B-82E2-EB99609875C9.jpeg
    D9A2D8E8-62A2-460B-82E2-EB99609875C9.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 59
The pictures shown all look like masonry fireplaces. This type of install is more commonly seen in England where they are in an old masonry fireplace with a plaster face. This is not the case if one is building it from scratch typically and it can be a poorer way to heat. A freestanding stove out in the open or in a tall shallow alcove will heat better.

Can you post some drawings showing design. A picture of where the stove is going will also help. Will the stove be for heating or more for ambiance?

This is a more common alcove install. The stove wall back is not necessary if a cleaner look is desired.
View attachment 258689

Also- it would be more of an aesthetic stove, though additionally heating would not be unwelcome.

Is there natural gas in the house? That would be an easier install with lower constraints.

I did a similar install as the first pic you posted. I made it out of metal 2x4's and cement board. its all open on top behind a fake wall. Worked out great for my install.

Attachments

• IMG_7240.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 85