Building "Easter Eggs"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You gotta wonder why they covered that up?

I lived in a Victorian-era (late 1870's, as best I could tell) house for 15 years, which anyone who ever stayed there will tell you was very haunted. I'm not the type who is bothered by bumps in the night, but I did have trouble keeping hired help or house sitters, in that place. I spent the first 8 years there tearing open every wall, ceiling, and a few floors, and often toyed with the idea of leaving some fun stuff closed up in the walls or ceilings to spook future residents, but never took the time to actually do anything worth mentioning. I did find one note in a wall from a worker, inserted over 100 years prior. I wrote on the back the altercations I was making, signed my name and date, and put it back where I found it.

View attachment 227927

Now I live in a house that was already over 100 years old, when that Victorian was built, but it's quiet. No ghosts, here.

They covered it because the window was broken most likely!

That's cool. Our house was supposedly built in the 1860's, but I can't find any record of that. Earliest was 1948, but the house is logs on stacked stone foundation and rough hewn timbers, and the cottage that I know was built in 48 was cinderblock.

[Thread drift warning...]

We were told our house was haunted, as one of the previous owners died in the front yard. The son who I know told me that his dad would come visit him as a ghost, and the next owners told me that they would often hear footsteps at night. One night at about 3am, I was tearing out some walls, doing work, and I heard "thump thump thump" on the roof. I paused for a moment, thinking i just heard something. A minute went by, and I heard it again. I went upstairs and looked out the window onto the roof, and didn't see anything. I went back down and heard "thump thump thump thump" again. I ran upstairs with the worklight and shined it outside onto the roof, just in time to see a HUGE raccoon climbing back into the tree that was growing out of the house.

Reactions: Ashful
That’s a great story. My dad had a similar one about squirrels in the attic of another family farm (we still own it) built in the 1720’s, and used as a hospital during the Revolutionary war. There were soldiers buried in the basement, at least briefly, with debate to this day whether they were all exhumed.

Of course, if someone dying in a house is all it takes, we’d all be in trouble. I have records indicating dozens of people died in my current house, there was no hospital to cart them off to in their final hours, 200 years ago.

It’s not thread drift, ghosts can be Easter Eggs.

My wife swears our house is haunted.
The previous owner/builder reportedly killed his wife in the kitchen. She was found dead there. How she died was in question.
After nearly 20 years and various legal proceedings, he was brought back to trial, found guilty, and killed himself in the courtroom holding cell while awaiting sentencing and in the presence of court officers.
It's interesting that he was an engineer working in transportation as am I. His late wife was a teacher, as is my wife.
Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the movie "The Shining".
Because of my constant parade of home improvement projects my wife likes to remark that I"m always putting holes in the house but I do avoid the same in doors.
"Here's Johnny!"

It's interesting that he was an engineer working in transportation as am I. His late wife was a teacher, as is my wife.
I do hope you use the opportunity to remind her of all similarities to the prior residents’ situation, on occasions when you need to exercise some leverage in a debate. :lol:

I do hope you use the opportunity to remind her of all similarities to the prior residents’ situation, on occasions when you need to exercise some leverage in a debate. :lol:
It has come up once or twice. ?)