Building hearth pad - tile mesh backing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hestia

Jan 21, 2008
Eastern MA
Hello all, and thanks to all of your advice. We are building our own raised hearth pad. It will be framed with 2x4s, topped with 3/4 inch plywood, then Micore 300, then 1/2" Durock,then 1/2" tile.

Now, my worry. Most of the tile is 6x6, then we are adding a border. (We do not have enough tile without the border - it is leftover from another project, and is no longer available.) The border we like has a backing, which we were told (Lowes employee) was fiberglass and would be safe under a hearth. After spending literally hours trying out different combinations of small tiles to fit around the 45 degree corners, my worries got the better of me, and I decided to try burning the tile backing. I pulled a piece of backing off the tile and held it (backing only) directly to a candle flame, and it burned immediately. However the mesh itself remained. I tried burning the tile as it was attached to the backing and it did not flame. I also tried holding up the tile with some of the adhesive bits, which smoked but did not flame. Now I am totally confused. Is it the adhesive which is flaming? Do I need to worry or not?

This will be set into thinset mortar. Is it safe to use the tile attached to the backing, or would you recommend setting each tile individually (pull off the backing and set)? Do I need to scrub the adhesive from the back? The tiles are smallish, and would be a pain, but better safe than sorry. Or, would setting the pieces (still attacked to the fiberglass,) into thinset onto the Durock (which would be attached to the Micore) be safe? We will be finishing eventually with a wood trim. The hearth will be large, 68" on the back, 48" deep, 60" on the front, with a Woodstock Keystone.

The way we have the trim planned, from edge is a 3 1/2 inch trim edging, then a 6 inch tile, then a 1/2 in trim edge, then 6 inch tile on the rest of the pad. I have created an image I am going to try and attach to clarify.

There are 18 inches from the loading door (side only) before the edge tile with the backer, however 12 inches from the door (and 6 inches from the front of the stove) to the 1/2 inch trim, and 6 inches from the front of the stove before the thin tile with fiberglass backer. I could take the backer off the 1/2 inch inner trim (closer to the stove) if you think I should. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hestia

Attachments

• tile border.jpg
    tile border.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 437
Status
Not open for further replies.