Building my own hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kjschepp24

Oct 3, 2019
Wisconsin
I’m looking to build my own hearth out of tile and then tile the walls as well inarea where stove is...can I simply cut out the drywall on the walls ... add cement backer board (1/2 inch) and then tile that with no concerns? Then just tile the cement floor?

Some pictures provided

It’s a hearth Bennington stove too

Fyi this stove was put in several years ago by a licensed installer not myself

Thanks
Keven

Attachments

• A3985C89-0C64-4802-B4BA-CFD5A361D12A.jpeg
    A3985C89-0C64-4802-B4BA-CFD5A361D12A.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 9415B05C-0CD3-4AC3-94FD-B94C3181FF38.jpeg
    9415B05C-0CD3-4AC3-94FD-B94C3181FF38.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 88
Yes, you can remove the drywall and replace it with cement board and tile. If the slab is stable you can tile directly to the cement floor, If not or if cracked, you may want to consider putting down a sheet of cement board to provide a nice level and uniform surface.

So I don’t need a “spacer” behind the wall and a air vent at the junction of the wall and floor?

I’m just confused because the manual says
For a corner places stove acceptable distances to unprotected is
1)13 for single wall connector
2) 12 for double wall connector

And for protected surfaces
1) 7 for single wall connectors
2) 7 for double wall connector

My pipe is double wall

The 11.5 measurement I provided in photo is from the top of the stove not from the stove fire box..not sure that matter

Just want to make sure not violating and safety codes...
The floor we r gonna do the same dimensions if not bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is correct. Currently the corner clearance is 1/2' shy, because of the drywall. The tile wall does not count as a proper protected surface, but that may not matter. With the proposed construction the nearest combustible will be the studs in the wall, which should fall at 12", right?

Should be...I’m just not sure if the 12 inches is from the closest edge or from the fire box closest point because the top has a 1/2 to 3/4 ledge on it

And the ledge is what I measured the 11.5 from

Should be...I’m just not sure if the 12 inches is from the closest edge or from the fire box closest point because the top has a 1/2 to 3/4 ledge on it

And the ledge is what I measured the 11.5 from

It is from the closest point. I would just move the stove away from the wall an inch or an inch and a half. I don't like setting a stove at minimum clearance because they move back over time