Building stone wall an hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
I got a new house an I’m going to put a new big stove in. But I’d like to make a stone hearth an stone wall behind stove, I was quoted a price of $2200 an that does not include stone just labor an neterials, wall would be 6ft wide 9 ft high an small raised hearth pad work , is that a good price? Seemed really high to me? Anyone in Washington state near mt baker lmk I need help...

Real stone will look great. But the cultured stone I did looks good and is easier to work with. One thing about the man made stone product is, when used outside the color will fade. Inside it's fine.

I got a new house an I’m going to put a new big stove in. But I’d like to make a stone hearth an stone wall behind stove, I was quoted a price of $2200 an that does not include stone just labor an neterials, wall would be 6ft wide 9 ft high an small raised hearth pad work , is that a good price? Seemed really high to me? Anyone in Washington state near mt baker lmk I need help...
Is that with real natural stone? If so, it will weigh a lot. What will be supporting the wall, hearth and stove?

Not sure if you have easy access to stone or not. I had a bunch laying around the property, so I made a couple of stone hearths, one in my basement and one in my office. It took a couple of weeks for each one, but it was like therapy for me. I'm not a mason, but sticking stone to either cement board or concrete is not rocket science, and between working with a mason for a couple of weeks and youtube, it all worked out. Like bgreen said, it will weigh a ton--maybe a bit more or less. Since I had concrete floors to work with, I just poured a 4 inch slabs and stuck the stones to it. In one case, I had a basement wall that was concrete and in the office I had cement board. $2200 seems about right if using natural stone--it is a big jigsaw puzzle of sorts and can take a bunch of time--less for a professional of course.