Built a new hearth, and an Oslo question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Also, the stove bright paint worked great on my DVL pipe. I took it outside and repainted the whole thing with flat black #6304. It looks great now. Had a real hot fire all day and the paint is fine. I like the flat finish better, it matches the stove. So there should be no more concerns here about this paint being compatible with the new DVL pipe.

Wish that would work on our 2006 DVL. Tried Stove Brite on it and it was a disaster. Evidently Simpson used a lacquer based paint on that year. Acetone based Stove Brite caused the entire touched up area to alligator when it got warm. It was a total mess. I think when M&G took over they switched paints.

I think the Oslo would be fine. It burns well with a bed of coals and a small load, 2 splits. With these reloads the stove peaks around 350 and cycles down from there. My cabin is a bit smaller than yours, and I normally run the Oslo with light loads.

Reactions: Game warden
Howdy folks

My name is Brian, I am building my own house in the GA mountains (owner builder). I am doing most of the work myself, with my wife's help! I've been reading here for a long time while planning for the house, and y'all have convinced me to go with a Jotul stove. Ive settled on the F500 Oslo, and I'm very happy with the Jotul dealer nearby. Here's a pic of the hearth I built for it. I'm going to cover it with stone

I put in a Duravent class A chimney, its 28' from stove top straight up thru the roof.

Now, I am wondering if the Oslo will be too warm for the house. It is a one story, 2000 sf, very open floor plan. The room the stove is in is 900 sf with a 10' flat ceiling (it's a great room/kitchen/dining all in one open space). The rest of the house also has 10' flat ceilings. I have 6" of cellulose in the walls, and air sealed all walls and ceiling with Certainteed Membrane because everything is tongue and groove knotty pine. What I'm driving at is the house is super insulated and very air tight. I did run a 3" duct to the exterior for the outside air kit (it's in the floor behind the kerosene heater sitting on the hearth now)

Is there anyone running an Oslo in the balmy Southern Appalachians? Our plan is to heat solely with wood, but I'm starting to worry the house will be too hot with this large stove. Thanks for any input

Brian, my suggestion to you is: DON'T GO SMALLER!! I think the Oslo might run a little warm for you south of the Mason Dixon line....but you would be VERY frustrated from time to time with a smaller fire box of the F400 or the smaller Jotul's. Just my suggestion. I had the F3 and loved it except for one "small" problem...I continually had to fight with firewood that wouldn't fit and only being able to fill it with one log at a time. (Now it resides in my basement wood shop with smaller chunks of wood for fuel). If you're going to burn wood extensively, get a stove with a larger fire box....i.e. your Oslo. Learn to run it a little cooler...not too cool....but a little cooler.....figure out how to move the air in the house....fans...forced air furnace on fan only...etc. Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator: