Q&A Burn Coal in Fireplace ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a small fireplace in my apartment(main floor of a 3 story townhouse built approx.. 1905) and I would like to burn wood in it during the winter months. My friend suggested that it could have been used to burn coal because of its size. Does size make a difference? I am having it cleaned and inspected next week (oct 25.1996) however I don't trust the company in answering my questions honestly (they just want the money for the cleaning?!). Can you help me? I also (if it's safe etc.) want to attach a screen with glass doors. Is this a good idea?

Answer:

1. Coal - It's difficult to burn "Hard" coal in any open fireplace. Certain types of "brown" coal can be used in open fireplaces. but you should try a small sample first. Most coal needs a tremendous amount of under fire air so you do need a good and compact grate.
2. The Glass Fireplace screen will help save heat in your home from being sucked up the chimney- especially when your fire is dying down and the damper is still open. Get a decent quality door and you will be happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.