Burn peat in wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HeatinPA

Mar 6, 2017
SE PA
I have a bunch of peat briquettes from Ireland. I'd love to throw one on some hot wood coals in the wood stove on occasion for the aroma. I have an Englander 13-NCH. The manual says burn only wood, but what say you?

i would burn it. BUT, if you can smell the fire, something bad is wrong.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
I tried burning one brick with an open door fire on hot coals. It put off a bit of nice odor, but not much. No, my stove did not explode

To fully appreciate the experience try it with a glass of Laphroaig 18 in hand.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Not a fan of Laphroiag. I like the Irish Whiskeys more than Scotch. Working through a bottle of cask strength Red Breast.

Me neither, but when appreciating peat, this came to mind.

Not a fan of Laphroiag. I like the Irish Whiskeys more than Scotch. Working through a bottle of cask strength Red Breast.

OK, then. If you like Irish whiskeys (I like Jameson), and are willing to try a peated Irish whiskey, look into Connemara. It's a nice smoky single malt Irish whiskey.

To go back to the original post, there were several peat fired power plants in maine in the past and they all had the same configuration which was a bottom grate with primary air coming up through it and then secondary air introduced above the grate. Its the same setup as coal so I expect a burner set up for coal might work better. The grates on the big boilers where either traveling or shaker grates and I expect that you would need shaker grate with peat as there is lot of non burnable junk along for the ride that would plug up the grates if it weren't removed.