burn pot fills up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can only speak for the Somersets and Energex as being great pellets, actually Somersets are now one of my favorites. Not a fan of the New Engald WP's.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

NHMOM said:

Ok, so I'm going out today and getting the different brands of pellets about 6 kinds I think. Tomorrow morning (fri) going to shut down the stove and COMPLETELY clean everything and everything. This way we start with a totally clean stove with no other pellet residue.

then start the testing of each brand of pellets with different settings. I guess I'll be in the basement with my lap top, some good hot tea, the long couch some good magazines etc . This way I can see what the flame looks like, how much heat it gives out etc.

We have a pellet piglet in the making! :) Be careful NHMOM. It's an addiction. :)

Me? a pellet piglet in the making... shhhhhh don't tell anyone in my family plz.

You're right, I was a pellet piglet 5 years ago when I had one in CT. But when I moved to NH 4 years ago I didn't take it. STUPID me.. but long story..

Just always been the type that I'm going to figure out the hows, whys, ins and out of something. Guess being born and raised on a dairy farm in CT and taking after my dad did that to me. VERY determind person. VERY!!!! My family will deff agree.....lol

Ok so since like 9 this am, I've had the the LFF & the LBA both at #3. Guess what? There are NO clinkers!!! YES!!!!!. One problem taken care(well for now anyways)

I'm still wanting to make it burn hotter. I left the Heat Range at 1 and the Blower speed I put up to 9...

My husband picked up 2 each bags of the following pellets

Energex... Corinth... Both from Agway in Dover

Greene team...Maines Best ....Both from Lowes in Rochester

Freedom Fuel and Fire Sides Best ....Both from Home Depot in Rochester

I know some may not like some of the brands, but i figured all would be worth a shot.

Oppss forget to mention that I opened the hopper to see how much pellets we went through, and WOW what a great suprise!!! Went through hardly any at all... (was outside finishing the Christmas Decorations (brrrrrrr)

Compared to what we've been going through. Seems we had been going through at least 60 lbs every 24 hrs. Plus thats when it really had not been as cold as it just got. I think now we've only gone through like 10 lbs if that.

Plus for my husband to notice that it's WARMER upstairs, there must be a diff. As i said I don't mind it chilly in the house, but between hubby and my 14 yr old I usually hear... brrrrrr it's chilly in here...

So it seems that we're getting there.

Glad to hear you're making progress with the stove....I hope I helped a little in making that happen.

A couple of last things....IMO, don't try to heat the house on heat setting #1......try the stove at heat #3 or higher.

Also, when making changes to the LFF and LBA, let the stove "equalize" itself for about 30-45 minutes before you form any opinions on how it's burning.

Lastly, I forgot if anyone mentioned this before, but the LFF and LBA button settings only effect the stove on heat settings #1 & 2......when you set the stove to #3 or above, they have no effect....the stove will be running on the pre-determined factory settings.

Keep the stove and pipes clean, burn good quality pellets, and you should be just fine.

Good luck......Oh, BTW, we'd appreciate some pics of the stove.....we LOVE stove pics, especially burning pics! :)

EDIT: Just saw a response from Mike H. at Englander on the "mysterious" lower 3 buttons and the debate over whether they have any influence on higher heat settings. Here is his response....this should clear this up for everyone permanently:

"It actually it depends on which model stove it is , which board, and which revision chip it is.

•Igniter boards: it has play in higher ranges.

•In the “non igniter” boards it only affects the lowest two settings (1-2)

• All top feed stoves it affects all settings

•Bottom feeders - Contact Mike Holton at Englander so he can see what revision chip the change was made for, but as far as stoves with origional equipment built 2003 and prior (non igniter), the presets only affect heat ranges 1-2"

Ok, the stove is completely cleaned, everywhere! Course I look like the chimney sweep guy but thats what soap and water are for.

Put in a bag of Corinth pellets.

The settings are

Heat range.... 4

Blower speed...8

LFF..........3

LBA...........5

AOT............1

I Think the flame is a good color.... The stoves been running for about 15 mins at these numbers....

Status
Not open for further replies.