Burn Pot on Classic Bay 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ett

Jan 14, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hello. I appreciate all your posts. I have learned a tonne!!
I bought a Classic Bay 1200 back in Dec 2013 and have a question about the burn pot. It was installed on Dec 23 and has chips in the cast iron w/in the burn pot. Is this normal?

I spend about 10 minutes a day cleaning the pot, vacuuming it out and cleaning the glass.

I have sent pics to the dealer and he has passed them on to the manufacturer.

I have attached a couple of pics for you to take a look at.
DSC01699.JPG DSC01699.JPG DSC01702.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01701.JPG
    DSC01701.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 255
Looks like carbon buildup in pot with chips out of it. Clean pot with chisel or similar instrument.

X 2 on the carbon and / or creosote build-up. What type / quality of pellets are you burning? Do you wire brush the fire pot when you clean it or just vacuum it? I'd try an electric drill with a wire wheel to see if that scours it out.

I spray non-stick cooking spray in my fire pot after I do a thorough wire brush and vacuum cleaning, and that seems to keep the carbon build-up down (as well as lubricates the scraper hinge), as does burning 100% softwood pellets.

From the scratches in the pot it looks like you have a very big carbon build-up. You would not be able to put those kinds of gouges in the cast pot. I've found that it is a little easier to remove that much carbon by scraping right after a shutdown when the burn pot is still warm.

Another vote for a chunk of carbon buildup flaking off. Looks similar to mine at different points in the winter.

Thanks guys. I do scrape with a chisel and get it very clean, but stopped when I saw the bubbles that came off and snapped the pics.

I will invest in a wire brush though. That'll make things a little easier.

I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and am much more limited in pellets from what I have been reading from most of the forum members. I mostly use the Shaw pellets as they are the most recommended in the area. They are 100% softwood.

I am just about to burn 10 bags of Blazing Comfort Pellets by Marwood ltd to see what they are like. They are a bit more $$ and also 100% softwood.

I tried a few bags from Walmart as they were cheap, but they were not very good. Fast burn, high ash content and they had a funky pine odour.

Your dealer scares me a bit, he should have known that was just carbon.

Reactions: Ett
So long a the holes are open who cares about a little bit of build up on the burn pot. I never have scraped or wire wheeled the burn pot on my CB1200i in 3 years. I have cleaned the clean out plate on the bottom but never the burn pot itself.

So long a the holes are open who cares about a little bit of build up on the burn pot. I never have scraped or wire wheeled the burn pot on my CB1200i in 3 years. I have cleaned the clean out plate on the bottom but never the burn pot itself.
Same here with the Castile... just push out the ash and make sure the small bottom holes are clear.

I just recieved this from my dealer. Awesome news!!

We received word from Quadra fire and they are going to replace the burn pot. I have ordered the parts already and I expect them in a few weeks. If you want you can wait until the end of the heating season to have the repair done, or if you prefer we can do it as soon as the parts arrive. Let me know.

Ask if you can keep the old one. In my opinion if you were to take a wire wheel to it that spot would be gone because the buildup around it would be gone. You'd have a free burnpot then.

Did your Quad dealer say they've had a problem with other similar CB burn pots, or was this a 'good faith' warranty replacement? Regardless, that's certainly good dealer and product support. I'm sure there are good and not - so - good Quad dealers, as in any retail endeavor, but it sounds like you have a good one willing to go to bat for you.

It seems in this 'corporate culture' day and age that manufacturers and dealers are more often looking for reasons not to warranty a part than they are to opt for replacing it. Good luck w/ your CB!

I did use a wire brush and it still had some kind of screw up in the burnpot. It was less noticeable, but still present. I am sure they will take it with them to send back to the manufacturer, but we shall see. My dealer has been here for 26 years and have the best reputation. That's why we went with them instead of the other dealers.

Did your Quad dealer say they've had a problem with other similar CB burn pots, or was this a 'good faith' warranty replacement

They did not say. Just that they would replace it whenever the part arrived. I am thinking I will wait till the end of the season.

Am I the only one that thinks that is NOT carbon buildup? The whole pit is in perfect shape and then there is a chip IN it, not ON it??

Ive seen the same exact thing in mine, and as I chipped more it took a uniform shape. It may very well be the burnpot though sounds like OP thinks it is so it probably is hard to diagnose from pictures.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Am I the only one that thinks that is NOT carbon buildup? The whole pit is in perfect shape and then there is a chip IN it, not ON it??
You and Ett

Hello. I appreciate all your posts. I have learned a tonne!!
I bought a Classic Bay 1200 back in Dec 2013 and have a question about the burn pot. It was installed on Dec 23 and has chips in the cast iron w/in the burn pot. Is this normal?

I spend about 10 minutes a day cleaning the pot, vacuuming it out and cleaning the glass.

I have sent pics to the dealer and he has passed them on to the manufacturer.

I have attached a couple of pics for you to take a look at.
View attachment 126816 View attachment 126816 View attachment 126818
This is not normal.... Quad did the right thing in replacing the pot. I have a Quad CB 1200 and clean the pot every day...golf wire brush and old paint brush cleans the pot perfectly...Not even 10 mins...more like 3.....Have fun, Quad CB 1200 is kick ass stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.