Burn Pot Scraper tool tip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
I can't be the only one whom occasionally scrapes the burn pot floor while the stove is running. For a long time, I used paint scraper, putty knife, etc ... but dang it, that fire gets hot. Now i use the longest prybar (17-3/4") of a three bar set from Harbor Freight, the end is bent and even tapered the right way. Hugely more comfortable, and can roll onto side and nudge unburnt pellets back into the fire center. This thing lets me scrape or break up deposits all the way to the auger. All three are now still just $7.99. The shorter ones (8" & 12") are in my tool box downstairs. I thought about adding a shield, but this bar is long enough and comfortable enough, why bother? My OEM burn pot had a flat - tilted floor, this newer burn pot has a curved floor that goes deep and to scrape it deep, one's hand is over top of the hot fire but not with this pry bar, just place tip downward and push, it reaches the floor of the burn pot all the way to the auger hole. Pry Bar Set with Grip, 3 Pc. (harborfreight.com)

Last edited:
I can't be the only one whom occasionally scrapes the burn pot floor while the stove is running. For a long time, I used paint scraper, putty knife, etc ... but dang it, that fire gets hot. Now i use the longest prybar (17-3/4") of a three bar set from Harbor Freight, the end is bent and even tapered the right way. Hugely more comfortable, and can roll onto side and nudge unburnt pellets back into the fire center. This thing lets me scrape or break up deposits all the way to the auger. All three are now still just $7.99. The shorter ones (8" & 12") are in my tool box downstairs. I thought about adding a shield, but this bar is long enough and comfortable enough, why bother? My OEM burn pot had a flat - tilted floor, this newer burn pot has a curved floor that goes deep and to scrape it deep, one's hand is over top of the hot fire but not with this pry bar, just place tip downward and push, it reaches the floor of the burn pot all the way to the auger hole. Pry Bar Set with Grip, 3 Pc. (harborfreight.com)

I use the mamma bear sized one from a different Harbor Freight set to scrape the burn pot on my P43. Usually I turn the room temperature down for a few minutes to cool things down just a bit before reaching the whole thing into the firebox bare handed with the handle inside of the door opening so that I can angle the sharp end appropriately to get at the "Harman Speed bump". Cracking the speed bump off with the fire going is a Braille operation but one that you get pretty good at with practice.

YMMV,

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: tbear853
Never scrape mine. Mine comes out and gets tossed in a bucket of warm water and everything flakes off... oooops, I have a different stove....lol

Reactions: tbear853
"Harman Speed Bump" ;lol ... Yep, that's where I got it.

I had even bent a putty knife, but just too dang hot. I see this was a well guarded secret now.

My burn pot has a flat square floor. If I were to scrape it while running, I would use a long handled bbq grill scraper. Fits about perfect.

I wear a pair of Ove Gloves when I scrape.

Glad my 15 seconds of scraping a day doesn't involve fetching a 5 gallon bucket of water and a spare burn pot
Actually. I use a plastic Hills Brothers coffee can, not a 5 gallon pail. Fits nicely in it.

I'm on my second pair of welding gloves. I use a Craftsman gasket scraper on the burn pot, drywall taping knife on firebox sidewalls and of course the Harman scraping tool for the heat exchanger and burn pot too. All while it's running. Made a scoop out of a small tin can and a long pair of tongs from the kitchen (don't tell the wife), so I can scoop out the ash pan, while the stove is running. Only need to shut down to do a deep clean of the bottom end and exhaust piping. Which will be this week as the temps are to warm up! ;)

This works..

Screenshot_20210223-151855_Photos.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'm on my second pair of welding gloves. I use a Craftsman gasket scraper on the burn pot, drywall taping knife on firebox sidewalls and of course the Harman scraping tool for the heat exchanger and burn pot too. All while it's running. Made a scoop out of a small tin can and a long pair of tongs from the kitchen (don't tell the wife), so I can scoop out the ash pan, while the stove is running. Only need to shut down to do a deep clean of the bottom end and exhaust piping. Which will be this week as the temps are to warm up! ;)
Get yourself a pair of calfskin TIG gloves. Much better. You get what you pay for.

Actually. I use a plastic Hills Brothers coffee can, not a 5 gallon pail. Fits nicely in it.

Was unable to edit it...lol

Actually having 2 burn pots is a plus because the one soaking in water, when I take it out to use it, there is NO scraping at all. The carbon falls right off.

My pot lifts right out, takes all of 5 seconds. I do wear my TIG gloves as it's usually hot. The one has developed a crack on the backside so I'll have to TIG it this summer. It's stainless.

Was unable to edit it...lol

Actually having 2 burn pots is a plus because the one soaking in water, when I take it out to use it, there is NO scraping at all. The carbon falls right off.

My pot lifts right out, takes all of 5 seconds. I do wear my TIG gloves as it's usually hot. The one has developed a crack on the backside so I'll have to TIG it this summer. It's stainless.
It would be nice to pull the burn pot for a good clean once in awhile. I know Harmans self cleaning pot isn't perfect but it works for me. Now my bixby in the garage has a true self cleaning burn pot. When I burn corn I clean it once a month. With pellets I bet I could get away doing it twice a season.