Burned some Ash with high moisture content

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
A month ago I was scrambling to find enough seasoned wood to get me through this winter and I cam across 1 1/2 cords of ash that had been standing dead for several years. It was a 108 year old tree that was 3 1/2 feet at the base. I figured it would be a perfect last minute addition to the supply to be used at the end of the winter. I split it all up to small to help it dry faster and stacked it in my dehumidified basement boiler room. It has been there for over a month now and the moisture content is still over 30% so I started to get a bit worried that it won't be dry enough to burn this winter. I did a couple tests burns of it yesterday and the day before. I loaded the tarm about 2/3 with some of my more seasoned supply and when it burned down to about 1/4 full I loaded it up with the Ash.

Any guesses as to how it burned?

I'd say if the ash had 30% moisture content, it had to quench the hot coals some, I hoped it burned well cause I'll be doing the same thing soon.

It burned great! It didn't seem to quench the coals at all. I didn't even hear any hissing. The tank temp ramped up normally and I didn't notice any significant difference between the ash and my dryer wood.

There are some posts in the wood shed that have poems about how great ash is. I think I'm becoming a believer.

I'm in a similar boat. Yesterday we cut up two elms that had a moisture content of ~25%. My wood supply for this first year is a little sparse so these trees were a godsend.

I'll wager they burned enough to heat your home. :)

I just picked up some ash a few days ago. I was hoping the mc was going to be low because it was split and stacked a month or so ago but it was still in the mid 20s range some close to 30. I was disappointed to say the least and I havent even tried burning it thinking that it wouldnt burn that well. I only throw a few pieces in a regular load of dry stuff and it seems to burn alright. I havent tried a full load of ash yet but maybe i will now.

Status
Not open for further replies.