Burned while burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You are hardcore brother. I have a desire to live more "simpler" but I think heating water on the stove everyday for a shower would get old. I tip my hat to you.
Not everyday. In the summer we use shower bags full of rain or spring water in the sun. I married the right woman.

i can honestly say i never burn myself using the woodstove since i began in 1991....
however, i have repeatedly done so year after year after year using the grill or smoker...
the most severe burn was on the bottom of my left foot.

stepped on an unseen stray ember.
yet i continue to grill/smoke barefoot.

i can honestly say i never burn myself using the woodstove since i began in 1991....
however, i have repeatedly done so year after year after year using the grill or smoker...
the most severe burn was on the bottom of my left foot.

stepped on an unseen stray ember.
yet i continue to grill/smoke barefoot.
LOL.. I belong to a cast iron/dutch oven cooking group that's pretty active and fun.. and we have a merit badge for that burn...

Reactions: JamesGuido
LOL.. I belong to a cast iron/dutch oven cooking group that's pretty active and fun.. and we have a merit badge for that burn...
Wife has been here, told me about your response… mentioned I should mention I invented a few more cuss words when I would’ve earned that merit badge…

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
Burning 16 years using a Jotul F3CB, I quickly learned to use welders gloves. It didn't take too long before they were black. Now my wife, she has mobility issues but she never wore gloves and never burned her hands, so in my case I think it's more than "the territory".

I paid about $20 for the long double lined suede fireplace gloves at Home Depot. Well made and should easily last over 2 years. I use carhartt insulated work gloves in the cold weather when bringing wood in or working with my stacks.

Depends on how you're getting burned, I suppose. I got one on the back of my hand when I slipped loading a log in the back of the stove and hit the reburn tubes on the top of the firebox. Accidents happen, which makes gloves a good idea, but if there's some bad habit you've got, it's smart to break it.

I was fortunate enough to get some firefighter gloves when I worked for the water department that I still have after 14 years but I also used welders gloves when messing with the wood stove, they work pretty well with heat.