Burning an Englander on very low setting successfully.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
..............not mine but my neighbors 25 PDV . The larger 2000 sq ft model.
The recommended factory settings on the bottom 3 touch pads were 6-4-1 but holy moly, he was going thru a lot of pellets and the heat was way too much for this time of year so we made some adjustments.
We been running just fine for many days now at 1-4-1 with a nice clean yellow/orange dancing flame and plenty of heat in this not so cold weather .
The window mostly stays pretty clean for 12-18 hrs before it starts getting brown on the right hand side and progressinly getting worse but it wipes right off and seems normal to me.
Actually we`d like to get it down a bit more and maybe by closing the slide plate in the hopper a bit would help .
Just wanted to let other Englander users know that you don`t have to be stuck at 6-4-1 if it`s too much heat. I think those buttons are there for a good reason.

what are the heat and fan settings set @? I run mine @ 2 and 6 and my bottom settings @ 4-4-1 (factory recommend 6-4-1) Mine purrs along and the pellet consumption is really good. My experience has been that the more fastidious you are about a clean stove and vent the better it runs. Really love this stove. I have had it for a month and a half and don't have a bad thing to say about it. Mike and his crew are great fro help as well........................

rottiman said:
what are the heat and fan settings set @? I run mine @ 2 and 6 and my bottom settings @ 4-4-1 (factory recommend 6-4-1) Mine purrs along and the pellet consumption is really good. My experience has been that the more fastidious you are about a clean stove and vent the better it runs. Really love this stove. I have had it for a month and a half and don't have a bad thing to say about it. Mike and his crew are great fro help as well........................

Don't you find it to noisy with the fan on 6 ? I usually run mine one above the feed rate 2-3 .We had a couple of colder days and I moved it up to 3-4 for a while .
I am talking about the top buttons .

rottiman said:
what are the heat and fan settings set @? ........................

1-4-1. I think the Englander pellet stoves are very much effected by pellet quality and thats why we read of users with their settings all over the place. However the board controls do allow for a lot of user settings , confusing as it is .
The downside to all this control is that it contributes to their difficulty of operation especially for those with little or no practical or mechanical experience. Personally There`s no reason why so many folks have to keep asking what the bottom 3 buttons do.
The manual helps but it`s also vague and having to call the factory just to get info on proper settings should not have to be.
That said, at least you can get to talk with an Englander factory tech.

good info Gio, thanks.

BTW - I think rottiman was asking about the 2 buttons on top (heat and blower)...

Yes Gio, Great info.

Seems there is a mystery with the lower buttons on those Englanders. Most don't trust themselves to mess with them. I too love to tinker, As long as I know how to go back. I bet you will find more people tinkering after this post. Patiently play and learn from the changes.

Keep up the good work! And thanks for sharing.
jay

I find my stove will just aboutgo out at the low feed at 1. I think if I had to run it that low I'd just shut it off for a few hours tilll needed.

joefraser said:
I find my stove will just aboutgo out at the low feed at 1. I think if I had to run it that low I'd just shut it off for a few hours tilll needed.

Interesting! Yeah , it`s probably a combination of pellets, settings, and a particular installation eg: draft . piping configuration , etc. that lets one stove burn one way and another stove differently.

jtakeman said:
Yes Gio, Great info.

Seems there is a mystery with the lower buttons on those Englanders. Most don't trust themselves to mess with them. I too love to tinker, As long as I know how to go back. I bet you will find more people tinkering after this post. Patiently play and learn from the changes.

Keep up the good work! And thanks for sharing.
jay

Geez , I hope no one takes my sole experience with this one stove as gospel , but I don`t see a whole lot wrong with trying different settings that could work to someones benefit. After all Englander did put them on there and I`d hate to think it`s for factory tech use only.
And as you say they should know how to get back to those previous settings before tinkering..

Yes, it seems that the lower 3 buttons are quite a "mystery" to many, especially those of you that never owned an Englander. I was the same way when I had my Astoria.

I have my 10-cpm set at 1-3-1 or 1-4-1, depending on the pellet. I'm test burning some Pres-to-logs right now, and they seem happy on 1-3-1. The Premiers I was burning needed 1-4-1 (extra air) on the low 1 or 2 heat setting.

How do you know what the bottom settings are (3 buttons). There are no led lights. to help with the adjustments.
can someone post a step by step?

To change the lower button settings:

1. Make sure stove is "off"
2. Press the button you want to check/change....red light above it should come on, and present setting will be displayed in the upper right display.
3. Press either both "up" arrows at the same time to increase number, or both "down" to lower it.
4. Let display go out completely, and then turn on stove.

BTW, you can press any of the lower 3 buttons at any time, even while stove is running, and it will tell what it's set at in the display.

I just moved my middle setting from 4 to 5 and am trying it there I think it is going to be good .It seemed a little rich at 4 .

Excell said:
rottiman said:

Don't you find it to noisy with the fan on 6 ? I usually run mine one above the feed rate 2-3 .We had a couple of colder days and I moved it up to 3-4 for a while .

I do not find it noisy @ all as it is located in my garage. I have installed power duct fans in the wall to my family room near the ceiling to move the heat into the house. As well, by keeping my laundry room door open into the garage I get lots of heat circulation. If i find that I have too much heat in the garage I have opened the cold air return on my oil furnace. I just kick on the furnace fan and I get total circulation to my 1750 sq ft one floor house, and I have even heat distribution throughout the entire house. All seems to work well................

Excell said:
I just moved my middle setting from 4 to 5 and am trying it there I think it is going to be good .It seemed a little rich at 4 .

It is way better on 5 ,it has a cleaner flame ,and the window doesn't get dirty as fast .

rottiman said:
Excell said:
rottiman said:

I do not find it noisy @ all as it is located in my garage. I have installed power duct fans in the wall to my family room near the ceiling to move the heat into the house. As well, by keeping my laundry room door open into the garage I get lots of heat circulation. If i find that I have too much heat in the garage I have opened the cold air return on my oil furnace. I just kick on the furnace fan and I get total circulation to my 1750 sq ft one floor house, and I have even heat distribution throughout the entire house. All seems to work well................

Good stuff I am glad it is working for you . I also have my stove in my garage ,but I work out there all day that is why I find the fan noisy . I wish I could get some of my extra heat into my house as well .

I also have the 25PDV, and my bottom 3 buttons seem to work very well as far as heat and fuel consumption when set at 2-9-1. As I understood from the factory rep the middle bottom button is how much air the system draws in to feed the fire. Is this correct? The pellets seem to last quite awhile, and burn completely to ash. At factory settings it would dump tons of pellets and they would not get burnt up all the way.

The factory rep also said that there is a reset that you can do. I think it is by holding up and down arrows on the blower speed and plugging in the unit. You will get a letter a, b, c, or d, when you do this. He explained that the letter in this setting was also very important on how well the stove operates. Anyone else have any information about this?

Only problems I have been getting is alot of darkening of the glass recently.

Thanks all.

Derius

Thanks. There is definitely such a setting, and can only be seen when holding in the two blower speed buttons and plugging in the unit. (i think those are the two buttons) and the setting can be changed to a,b,c, or d. The rep told me a few years ago what those letters did and meant, but I have long since forgotten, and now no one seems to know what I'm talking about. sigh

DeriusT said:
Thanks. There is definitely such a setting, and can only be seen when holding in the two blower speed buttons and plugging in the unit. (i think those are the two buttons) and the setting can be changed to a,b,c, or d. The rep told me a few years ago what those letters did and meant, but I have long since forgotten, and now no one seems to know what I'm talking about. sigh

I'd be curious to know as well.

DeriusT said:
I know exactly what your talking about......reps had me change that also. can't remember what they were for though.

I'd love to get a rep in here and explain those settings. They have to influence something...

My stove is burning great, and burning everything to ash, with great heat, but I can't seem to get the flame under control. It always has a very high, very fierce flame. It centers right in front of the auger hole, and it scares the crap out of me that it is going to somehow ignite pellets before they reach the end of the auger. That would be.......bad....

DeriusT said:
I'd love to get a rep in here and explain those settings. They have to influence something...

My stove is burning great, and burning everything to ash, with great heat, but I can't seem to get the flame under control. It always has a very high, very fierce flame. It centers right in front of the auger hole, and it scares the crap out of me that it is going to somehow ignite pellets before they reach the end of the auger. That would be.......bad....

I'd like to know about the A,B,C,D, etc "settings" too....never heard of them before.

DeriusT, what stove do you have?

I have the 25-PDV from Englander.

I bought it used 3 seasons ago. (it was made in 2001)

I love the thing, just having trouble with that flame. And I sure do wish I could remember what those 'letter' settings do. Great stove though, very pleased with it overall.

I have only replaced the auger motor and room air blower, as well as the front glass gasket and hopper lid gasket. All other parts are original.

The only problems i'm having right now (since switching pellet brands) seems to defy logic. I run at 1-variable-1 or 2-variable-1 or it just burns too hot and I gotta open windows. lol

The problem is that the fire is seeming to be more concentrated around the auger than last years burn, and it looks like the flame is sometimes trying to travel along the auger a bit, or into the auger hole. This worries me.

And the higher I turn the second bottom button, the smaller the flame. The lower the air, the more fierce, and hot the flame, nearly looking like a bonfire! Getting a little worried and want to get it settled down to eating pellets good this season, so I don't feel I have to watch it so much...

Hope I made some sense with all my rambling...

Status
Not open for further replies.