Burning Cedar lathe, any reason not to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoismad

May 5, 2008
Ohio
This weekend I'm finishing up ripping out the walls of my spare bedroom. The house is about 75 years old, and under the plaster is a layer of cedar lathe. Since I live in town, I don't really have any way of disposing of it besides paying $50 a truckload to take it to the dump.

It has alot of nails in it, but that shouldn't really hurt anything, I just cant toss the ashes out in the yard. Is there any reason not to burn the stuff in my wood furnace? Its very very dry (75 years old). I tossed in a bunch just to see what would happen. It burnt really hot and really quick, which I expected. Is there any reason not to burn cedar, or will I be fine just burning the stuff up in the furnace?

I use my reclaimed demolition lath for kindling all the time. Lousy for sustained burns tho - too small. But perfect for startups / restarts.

CZARCAR said:
it'll burn too fast & if u try control it, it wont get enough adequate O2 for combustion=creosote for chimney . use as kindling or mix with green wood. i thinx

I don't really care about getting heat out of it. I just need to get rid of it.

Burn small loads with your regular firewood if you are looking to make it go away, but I have to second (or third) the point that old lath is the gold standard for kindling.

Minor correction, a lathe is used to turn metal and wood. Lath refers to the wood strips.
Burn the lath judiciously. It is very dry. A full firebox of the stuff could overfire the stove.

That said, he who has the last lath kindles a mighty fire. :coolsmile:

lugoismad said:
This weekend I'm finishing up ripping out the walls of my spare bedroom. The house is about 75 years old, and under the plaster is a layer of cedar lathe. Since I live in town, I don't really have any way of disposing of it besides paying $50 a truckload to take it to the dump.

It has alot of nails in it, but that shouldn't really hurt anything, I just cant toss the ashes out in the yard. Is there any reason not to burn the stuff in my wood furnace? Its very very dry (75 years old). I tossed in a bunch just to see what would happen. It burnt really hot and really quick, which I expected. Is there any reason not to burn cedar, or will I be fine just burning the stuff up in the furnace?

One caution that I learned the other night as I opened my FP to put in another piece of cedar. I opened the screen about the time it popped and took a hot ember hit half an inch below my right eye! From that moment and for all time, I'm wearing eye protection anytime I open 'er up! I took that as a warning, offered up my thanks for another chance and went and got my full face shield. THAT was a close one!

Last week I went to stir the coals with some particularly popping pine. Although the door was only open a couple inches, an ember popped out of a log and up into my ear! Fortunately it was a small one, but it still smarted. From now on I'm wearing ear protection when I open up the stove!

I got three scratches between the eyes from an exploding coal. I thought the coals were pretty much dead and was torching some kindling with a propane torch (like I do most days). Guess I heated the coals too much and - boom. Wont be doing that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.