Burning green wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
So I just got a killer deal on some green wood. It's slab wood from a lumber mill. He said it was green AFTER delivery but I decided to hell with it. I'll give it a try since my chimney was cleaned 2 months ago and I have been burning seasoned wood up until now.

So I grab about six 1"x1" pieces mixed with some offcut 2x4 I had. into my fire. It started with a brief period of smoke and I thought yeah this won't work.... but then it proceeded to burn hot at nearly 300° Celsius.

So I placed some wood in front of the wood stoves blower but far enough that it doesn't pose a hazard. It's an insert with a blower, so they were at blower height.

So once the fire died down to around 200° celcius I threw the 2x2 green stuff in the fire and after a slow start it fired back up to 250°c. I repeated this 3 times, it's really really warm inside now.

I know it's bad to burn green wood but if I'm maintaining the high Temps and keeping it above 250 is creosote still a big concern? I can start the fire with dry kindling and maintain Temps with the thin green wood as long as there is no smoke and Temps are high? I'm looking for some clarification and guidance here since I've never burned green wood before.

On a side note I am only burning thin pieces, maxing put at 3" thickness. I currently have two small piles sitting on my central heat vents to assist drying over night when the heater is running and I plan to make a nice little storage bin that sits Overtop the air vent so i can place a bunch of 2x2 3x3 pieces in there to dry whenever central heat is running. And I'm cycling these kindling sized pieces I'm making to sit in front of the blower a safe distance away.

Thanks

I'd avoid it. You're still wasting many BTUs in boiling that water into vapor. (And lowering fire temps, creating more half-combusted byproducts which, together with the water, form the creosote if they condense in your flue.)

Can you do it? yes. Do you get heat out of it? Yes.
Is it the best? No. Wasteful? Yes. Possibly dangerous? Yes - you're not checking the flue every 2 weeks...

Do you have enough seasoned wood?

If you *have to*, I'd put in 20-30% of this stuff in an otherwise seasoned load.

I suppose you should also know the kindling I'm cutting and burning are discarded 1x2 and 2x2. No bark on them at all. These are the ones I'm burning. My house hit a fast 22° with them.

I'd avoid it. You're still wasting many BTUs in boiling that water into vapor. (And lowering fire temps, creating more half-combusted byproducts which, together with the water, form the creosote if they condense in your flue.)

Can you do it? yes. Do you get heat out of it? Yes.
Is it the best? No. Wasteful? Yes. Possibly dangerous? Yes - you're not checking the flue every 2 weeks...

Do you have enough seasoned wood?

If you *have to*, I'd put in 20-30% of this stuff in an otherwise seasoned load.
I have no seasoned wood left. But I will listen to the more experienced people here. I'll get ahold of some dried wood and use that in combination with around 20% green kindling. The larger pieces are going straight to the back on a pallet until I build a shed in the winter.

If I do decide to check the chimney, I'm just looking for creosote build up and that it? Or am I sweeping it?

I'd get a sooteater. Sweep it, and see what comes down. If you can, have a good look on top, including the cap screen.

Reactions: beermann
Not sure what part of Canada you are in, but out west there is lots of dead standing pine from the pine beetle that is often good to burn the day it is cut. Might be an option.
Southern ontario. I don't have a truck but I can get some of those compressed logs 10 for $5 and mix those in. I'll make sure to start the fire with clean wood and then use the small greener stuff later. I have an entire facecord of the discarded 1x1, 2x2, 1x3 type of cuts.

Last edited:
I'd get a sooteater. Sweep it, and see what comes down. If you can, have a good look on top, including the cap screen.
I have visions of a sooty mess using one of those. I suppose I'll have to give it a go but if it's expensive I'll have to do a work around and get on the roof in a week or 2 when weather clears up a tad.

Use a bag with a hole, tape it to the stove pipe. Many posts here about how to do that.

Not expensive. Less than one sweep by a prof. But the assurance from a prof is worth something.

Gotta think there is a abundance of dead pine/softwood there to scrounge? Are you able to cut your own wood? When I started I used a junk minivan..... Looking for another one now;lol I also had one cranky old green Poulan saw. Hand split everything. Filled my stacks fine.
Good luck @beermann You will get only better at this wood burning as you go!

Gotta think there is a abundance of dead pine/softwood there to scrounge? Are you able to cut your own wood? When I started I used a junk minivan..... Looking for another one now;lol I also had one cranky old green Poulan saw. Hand split everything. Filled my stacks fine.
Good luck @beermann You will get only better at this wood burning as you go!
I have my wife's van which I generally line with cardboard. I have the same cranky saw and a maul. I'm just not able to get out with covid and the kids staying at home. But I have a source for pallets and I can snag 4 soon.

Until then I'm moving the generous pile he gave me. I asked for 3 favecord but he was nice enough to include a couple extra.

Then I'm making due. I still have central heat but I really do enjoy the wood heat. On the positive side I can order more green wood for super cheap and let it season in the backyard. Just load up the fence line along the back for a couple years worth.

Last edited:
Use a bag with a hole, tape it to the stove pipe. Many posts here about how to do that.

Not expensive. Less than one sweep by a prof. But the assurance from a prof is worth something.
Just did a read and I'm sold. The $130 price tag was a bit surprising but it sounds awesome and it would give me peace of mind to be able to easily clean my flue throughout the winter. Sounds like it completely replaces the need to do a sweep from the roof all together.

My approach (for now) is to still get an end of season sweep here. To have some eyes up there, and to have a receipt to show the insurance company. Then I do a mid seasons soot eater round myself.

I'll do an end of season inspection and soot eater every 2 weeks. It's really not that expensive of a tool when considering the alternative. I'll do a sweep end of week

20220111_094421.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
i think youre fine burning it, the temperature is what matters, so what if youre wasting some btu's any heat is better than no heat, i burn green wood scraps from our sawmill all the time and i have very little creosote every year when i clean, its all about temperature and if youre keeping it that high then youll be fine.

i think youre fine burning it, the temperature is what matters, so what if youre wasting some btu's any heat is better than no heat, i burn green wood scraps from our sawmill all the time and i have very little creosote every year when i clean, its all about temperature and if youre keeping it that high then youll be fine.
I came to the same conclusion but added in some advice provided such as cleaning every 2 weeks. Since I've never burned green wood it sounds like a good choice.

As long as I keep it in the mid to hught range I should be ok. What temps do you aim for? I am attempting to keep it near 500f

It still has a bit of a smoke when I throw some of the wood on but it's about equivalent to the starting of a pellet stove. 5 to 10min and its gone. I think using all the small pieces helps a lot. I have an entire facecord of those small cut offs. And using the sootbuster will prevent any deathly build up on the flue. Having a pro come out this summer will also be good for general maintenance.

20220111_111317.jpg 20220111_111739.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: one man's kindling
I came to the same conclusion but added in some advice provided such as cleaning every 2 weeks. Since I've never burned green wood it sounds like a good choice.

As long as I keep it in the mid to hught range I should be ok. What temps do you aim for? I am attempting to keep it near 500f

It still has a bit of a smoke when I throw some of the wood on but it's about equivalent to the starting of a pellet stove. 5 to 10min and its gone. I think using all the small pieces helps a lot. I have an entire facecord of those small cut offs. And using the sootbuster will prevent any deathly build up on the flue. Having a pro come out this summer will also be good for general maintenance.

View attachment 289580 View attachment 289582
i shoot for like 400 or so on the stove pipe to make sure its staying hot, seeing how the fire looks in that picture youre definitely fine, if the glass isnt turning black then youre burning plenty hot! try some of those rutland chimney sweep products, toss a scoop in once a week or so and it pretty much makes any creosote buildup there is flake off into your clean out. will still need to brush it come next season but it will be an easy clean up.

If you have a sooteater, and with a new stove, it's good to periodically check until you know how your system behaves, and have confidence that you are safe. Then you can decrease the frequency.

For anyone interested. This is how much I brushed out using the sooteater. Looks like keeping the green wood small and loading frequently is going to work until I get my hands of some seasoned wood.

20220117_130420.jpg

Can't see how much that is. Is there a place in the stove where stuff can collect after falling down from the chimney? I.e. would you see all in the firebox?

If all is there, it seems to be ok (if there is no glazy mess that is hard to sooteat out of the flue).

Can't see how much that is. Is there a place in the stove where stuff can collect after falling down from the chimney? I.e. would you see all in the firebox?

If all is there, it seems to be ok (if there is no glazy mess that is hard to sooteat out of the flue).
I should have elaborate more. It's literally those black flex on the ash. Nothing else came down. Maby 2 tablespoons worth.

Reactions: stoveliker
And this was after burning green wood for how long? Were you burning 24 hours a day?
I have been burning 8-10hrs a day beginning in mid October. I brushed the chimney at that time and then again just now after hearing how bad green wood can impact the liner.

Recently got the green wood. He didn't say it was green until it was dumped in my driveway but it was so cheap I'll season it in my backyard. So to answer your question i burned with it for the past 10 days. I've been making a hot coal bed and then getting the temp up high. I then just reload when the temp begins to drop. I don't burn 24/7 I use central heat during the night and burn during the day when it gets chilly in the house. Saves me a lot of money.

Sorry for the poor angle on the picture. I did not retake the picture because I ended up going with a video but it's too large to post.

20220117_130559.jpg

I'll get under there with a flashlight tomorrow to get your thoughts as well. I prefer to err on the side of caution