Burning green wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A photo of the cap would be great. Also the wood that is green is water coming out the ends when burning?
I'd burn it too if I needed to stay warm.
Good info.

Reactions: beermann
So it's about 100 hours, i.e. 5 full time days.

I'm not sure how fast things can go bad, but this is a short time. Regardless, it's good it doesn't look bad at this time (if no glaze in there that you couldn't get off). Good to keep an eye on the cap indeed.

I know for a fact the cap is blackened. No Shiney glaze and no clumps of creasote when I was up there in October.

A photo of the cap would be great. Also the wood that is green is water coming out the ends when burning?
I'd burn it too if I needed to stay warm.
Good info.
If I just throw them in as is then it hisses and I get a lot of white smoke coming out the flue. When I look at a piece that's been in there you can see the sizzling water on the sides.

What I've been doing is setting thin wood in front of the blower a safe distance away and air drying them as much as possible. These 1" thick pieces of wood (usually 1x4, 2x2, 1x3) don't sizzle for long. I'm basically burning kindling. I have an entire facecord of these barkless cut offs from the mill that seem to dry out well enough between loads.

I'll try and get a picture of the cap later. It'll be from the ground.

Reactions: MR. GLO
So it's about 100 hours, i.e. 5 full time days.

I'm not sure how fast things can go bad, but this is a short time. Regardless, it's good it doesn't look bad at this time (if no glaze in there that you couldn't get off). Good to keep an eye on the cap indeed.
Thanks. I don't think I'm in any immediate danger. As simpleas it all is this is also a nice learning process on what I'm doing.

This summer I'll have some pro's come out and assess things as well.

I know for a fact the cap is blackened. No Shiney glaze and no clumps of creasote when I was up there in October.

Yes, then. But if this was my system, I'd like to know how it's now. Because even if the data you have now are (indeed) not very concerning, problems can happen up there.

Not sure you can get up there though this time of the year.

They seem to be getting dry enough to catch fire immediately without smoking or dropping stove temps. By placing them in front of the blower a safe distance away in preparation to burn and chucking them in at hight temps I believe I may be able to burn as much as I want safely. 500° when I put these two in. Ignited right away.

20220117_161323.jpg

Yes, then. But if this was my system, I'd like to know how it's now. Because even if the data you have now are (indeed) not very concerning, problems can happen up there.

Not sure you can get up there though this time of the year.
If I can I will. Right now we are going through a bit of a storm but if things become safe throughout the month I'll get this data for you.

Until then I'll keep posting everything. Thanks!

The fact that they ignite says the outside is dry. Not a surprise given the fan drying. If they bubble out of the ends, they are still wet inside.

It is possible you are able to keep the flue temps high enough to avoid major issues - apart from a higher pollutant exhaust into the great outdoors.

I should have elaborate more. It's literally those black flex on the ash. Nothing else came down. Maby 2 tablespoons worth.
Did you check the chimney for creosote glaze? Just because nothing came out doesn't mean there is nothing there.

Did you check the chimney for creosote glaze? Just because nothing came out doesn't mean there is nothing there.
It's become an increasingly occupied day. I did not run a fire 🔥 today. But I will post up a picture from the bottom up with a flashlight before I run my next fire. Unfortunately weather does not permit going on the roof 😕. But I will follow up with that asap.

Thanks for the follow up.

It's become an increasingly occupied day. I did not run a fire 🔥 today. But I will post up a picture from the bottom up with a flashlight before I run my next fire.

Thanks for the follow up.
The bottom won't tell you much unless the creosote problem is really bad

The bottom won't tell you much unless the creosote problem is really bad
Thanks. I can confirm there was no creasote after my brush in October. I will take pictures next time mainly because burning green has raised some questions for me that I would like to know more about. In light of this I will post up pictures as soon as I can safely get on my roof.

On this topic, I'm new to wood burning and have heeded everyone's advice to stay away from green wood. However, the other day I was bored and tossed on Life Below Zero on Disney+ and these guys in Alaska were commenting how they're running low on wood for heat. To fill up they just go out, cut trees, chop, and start burning them in a day or two.

Obviously it's as fresh as can be yet it appears to be common practice. Anyone have insight into how they pull it off? Do they just clean their own chimneys every couple weeks?

Btw, I have no intention of doing this. I just thought it was interesting.

My experience here in the Trinity Alps (Nor Cal) is similar. Been cutting wood with long time residents who in 20 years never commented on the need to dry wood. Seems all these guys burn right after cutting. I did the same. Still, my neighbor (BK owner) will not listen to my insistence that wood needs to be 20% mc or less.

On this topic, I'm new to wood burning and have heeded everyone's advice to stay away from green wood. However, the other day I was bored and tossed on Life Below Zero on Disney+ and these guys in Alaska were commenting how they're running low on wood for heat. To fill up they just go out, cut trees, chop, and start burning them in a day or two.

Obviously it's as fresh as can be yet it appears to be common practice. Anyone have insight into how they pull it off? Do they just clean their own chimneys every couple weeks?

When I watch those shows you see them mostly cutting standing dead trees. Also, when you die if you don't burn wood if all you have is green wood then you burn it.

Many may have multiple chimney fires a year as well. Some people still start them on purpose to "clean their chimney"

Some people still start them on purpose to "clean their chimney"
"Hold my beer and watch this"-type cleaning.

I prefer to just drink my beer with the fire remaining in the box.

Sorry you are reduced to burning not only green but also "gopher" wood.

Maybe this year's resolution should be to never be in this position again?

Keeping a good close eye on it is great on your part. Stay safe.

I'll be running central for the next week or two. Maby more. Threw out my lumbar fairly bad "exercising" and waiting on meds so I can at least get up and move around. Backs all kinds of messed up for the next little while.

I already spoke to my wife and we are planning to get a decent sized shed out back. We love the wood heat.

I think the way I'm burning short term is going to be fine. I would be plenty more concerned If I used larger pieces.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you will be functional again soon!