burning lumber scraps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So burning ply wood is just fine? What about the interior surfaces of the the burning device? Wouldn't the off gassing of the glue be kind of bad for steel surfaces? I have read that on here before, I think.

So burning ply wood is just fine? What about the interior surfaces of the the burning device? Wouldn't the off gassing of the glue be kind of bad for steel surfaces? I have read that on here before, I think.
My inserts manual specifically says to not burn any type of plywood. I will stick with their advise.

I am building the house my stove will end up in so I have tons of scrap lumber ends from trimming boards. It is mostly the cut off ends of the 1x6 subfloor and ends of 2x lumber but it fills several large trash bags and has been sitting for at least 2 years. I have no doubt it will burn well but I will hold back how much goes into each load. I also have full length boards, not many, the are so badly twisted I could not use them at all. I consider those to be firewood too.

the are so badly twisted I could not use them at all. I consider those to be firewood too.
I hear you. In my case, these are a testament to how long it takes me to get a project done sometimes. The fact that I can burn them is my one consolation....

I remodeled my entire house recently. Plaster and lathe. I saved as many of the lathe boards as I could. Used em for starter wood. Also used all the cut offs as well. I will not burn the plywood or OSB tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.