Burning over night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Old VC Encore model 0028 cat is new from Midwest heart manufactured by Applied Cermaics. The one thing not really clear is what the secondary air control does. Mine was closed cold and everyone said it should be open about 1/4 cold. I just installed the new probe with the coil on it and it was open 1/4" cold now and closed when it got hot without the damper closed so I don't know what it does.
Tonight I came in and my wife had the fire going and the stove top at 575 with the primary air cut back. It had been burning for a while and the box was maybe 1/2 full. I engaged the cat and it slowly climbed into the 900's and was OK. We'll see how it goes from here.
Is the 900F reading on a Catalyst temp probe?

I was to slow responding. No worries as stated on the cat temp. I see 1300 daily.

Oh 900 is far from overheating a cat
I know that. It has taken off over 1600 at times and did not want to come down had primary air off. The other day it took off and wouldn't come down with primary shut. Had a flashover in the firbox and puffed smoke then the cat started dropping. It was really glowing through the slot at the fireback.
it's not overfiring tonight but I haven't done a full reload nd tried engaging tonight. It's been warm the last couple of days so I hadn't lit it until tonight.

Is the 900F reading on a Catalyst temp probe?

I was to slow responding. No worries as stated on the cat temp. I see 1300 daily.
Yes 900 on the probe tonight and cruising at 700 with small load and 1/2 primary air. I don't get excited at 1300 but 1600 and rising with no control got my attention.

Reactions: Tar12
One load a day would not work for me...or the wife...I like a warm house 24/7 and I run this BK 24/7...2 loads a day like clock work...I set it and forget it...it is so efficient I have never considered running it any differently...its 26 out now with a windchill of 16 and the stove room is 78 and the bedrooms are 72-73...to warm for many but just right for us...if you are fine with cooler mornings I say go for it! You are cutting your wood consumption in half!

One load a day would not work for me...or the wife...I like a warm house 24/7 and I run this BK 24/7...2 loads a day like clock work...I set it and forget it...it is so efficient I have never considered running it any differently...its 26 out now with a windchill of 16 and the stove room is 78 and the bedrooms are 72-73...to warm for many but just right for us...if you are fine with cooler mornings I say go for it! You are cutting your wood consumption in half!
I want what you have!

Reactions: Tar12
Yes 900 on the probe tonight and cruising at 700 with small load and 1/2 primary air. I don't get excited at 1300 but 1600 and rising with no control got my attention.
One possibility is that the primary air door is sticking occasionally. They can bind sometimes when old, especially if starting to get a bit crusty.

I know that. It has taken off over 1600 at times and did not want to come down had primary air off. The other day it took off and wouldn't come down with primary shut. Had a flashover in the firbox and puffed smoke then the cat started dropping. It was really glowing through the slot at the fireback.
it's not overfiring tonight but I haven't done a full reload nd tried engaging tonight. It's been warm the last couple of days so I hadn't lit it until tonight.
1600 on a new cat especially one one of those stoves isn't surprising

One possibility is that the primary air door is sticking occasionally. They can bind sometimes when old, especially if starting to get a bit crusty.
Checked and cleaned when replacing all the gaskets and installing the new cat. If I burn without the cat I can shut the fire down by closing the primary air. When the cat takes off it sounds like a chimney fire in the stove with the air shut down you can hear it trying to pull air.

The point is that if you shut the primary air, you are creating *more* fuel for the cat, and the cat temperature might in fact go up - primary air down means more smoldering, more smoke, and *that* is what makes a cat hot. I can have my cat at a lower temperature when the primary fire is raging (with secondary flames as well; i.e. burning all there is to burn), then I decrease the air on the primary fire, and the cat goes up in temperature because it gets more fuel (smoke) to chew through.

And almost invariably (on the BK forum), new cat owners come in with this question that it's getting too hot. That will settle down soon. It's normal.

From what I read, I'm not very worried that something is wrong. Cat temps are just not "heat output" temps, nor are they indicative of overfiring. And young, hyperactive cats are just that - too eager to heat up. They'll grow up and settle down soon enough. For me it was more than 2 weeks of burning (I can't burn a 4x8 stack of wood in two weeks), but after 1 face cord it should get better, and after a cord (3 face cord) it is generally "mature".

You are saying you can burn overnight with visible flames the whole time? I know I can't either the princess I am using. If I go to bed with it set to be running with active flames there will be pretty much glowing charcoal in the morning. Maybe an occasional wispy flame but far from what I would call active flames
This was this morning at 11 am after last night's 9.20 pm or so reload.

Rereading your post, I call this flames, you may call this whispy flames. It's a bit hard to see, but there are multiple 6" tall flames, blueish, on the left. We may be consistent after all?

IMG_20221205_105612047.jpg