burning pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

I have a few dead pine trees in my stand.I dont know what type ..im going to take them down and was wondering if anyone burns much pine in soap stone stoves or do they make a mess with the pine sap.if you burn it is it best to mix it with your hard wood...ZZZim

I just inspected a chimney the other day for a couple who burn strictly pine as a main heat source in their house. I didn't sweep the chimney because it was so clean. It really depends on your stove and your burning habits.

well that sounds good, i would hate to have to burn it in mu burn pit...all btu used in the house,,less $$$ for the electric man..thanks for info..ZZZim

I mix mine with more pine as thats all we have to heat with right through the bowels of winter. I clean my chimney once a
year whether it needs it or not. Nhaaa I was just foolin we get all our hardwoods sent up from the south, costs a bit but its worth it. %-P You will be just fine . Make sure it is seasoned like all wood should be.
N of 60

these trees are dead and still standing,have been dead for years..can they be dropped cut and split and burned this winter,,will mix with aged ash...I wouldn;t think they would need much aging or would they???got that weard wood burning fever..I love to burn...ZZZim

good deal more wood goodys to buy..dont have a moister meter.Ill tell the woman of the ranch i need to go get stove parts,need to restock the CROWN ROYAL shelf anyway..Not used as a firs starter... %-P ...ZZZIm

zim said:
these trees are dead and still standing,have been dead for years..can they be dropped cut and split and burned this winter,,will mix with aged ash...I wouldn;t think they would need much aging or would they???got that weard wood burning fever..I love to burn...ZZZim

Watch out for the widow maker branches.

zim said:

my dead standing pine trees were dropped cut split and went right into the woodstove the same day and burnt awesome!! i have about ten more on my propert that i am waiting to cut when i'm ready to burn.

I burn little other than pine (as do many of us in this part of the country)...mostly Lodgepole & Ponderosa. Other softwoods in smaller quantities...Douglas Fir, Larch (Tamarack), and Juniper. I like to see it down around 20% MC before I call it ready. Burns fine, and gets the job done (a BTU is a BTU), I just burn a lot of it. Two stoves going most days, longer hours in the larger of the two. Last season we went through 7 cords. If I had access to good hardwoods, I imagine I could do the same job with maybe 4. As with any wood, proper seasoning is the single most important factor. Rick

Very useful to have some pine in your pile. Good for kindling. Good first load for a quick fire to get your stove up to temperature. Good to mix in with hardwood, especially big chunks or un-split knots, as the pine will help promote a nice flaming burn. As a general rule, give pine plenty of air during the first third of the burn, to help burn the pitch.

Keep an eye out for pitch-soaked wood a.k.a. "fatwood"... often found in dead branches, knots, and in the stump. It sometimes takes experience to spot it but the wood will have a more marbled or glassy appearance when split, kind of like peanut brittle. This stuff burns like an oil-soaked tire, yellow and smoky. When you ifnd it, splt it way down and it makes great kindling that you can practically light with a match.

Eddy

thant you all for the info..5 pine down...2 two go...2 cut up...ready for the inferno...ZZZim

Pine sap is a fuel.
Remove the moisture from it the same way you will remove the moisture from the log.

I give it the same time as oak to be safe.

I cut my pine down same year i use it to burn. Dead standing for a year or so in our dry dessart climate and its dry enough

Jacob said:
I cut my pine down same year i use it to burn. Dead standing for a year or so in our dry dessart climate and its dry enough

Dry enough? Whats enough=..... Big difference between enough and actually dry. My guess is your not running a stove with secondary burn or CAT.
Possibly not a window. :-/ Just a hunch.

Someone at Woodstock told me mix the pine with harwood if you can, Pine can burn dirty and clog the cat quicker than hardwoods. I have some bone dry Pine I plan on burning first this year, we'll see what happens.

Todd said:
Someone at Woodstock told me mix the pine with harwood if you can, Pine can burn dirty and clog the cat quicker than hardwoods. I have some bone dry Pine I plan on burning first this year, we'll see what happens.

This is what dry pine does to a CAT in three yrs.

Attachments

• 3yrcat.jpg
    3yrcat.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 568
I read Todd's post and just knew N of 60 would post the pic.

I agree with the standing dead pine thing. We have an area close by that a forest fire went through a couple of years back. Burnt the bark off the outside of the trees and killed them. We cut them down as we need them and burn them right away. Most are spruce with a bit of jack pine but same idea.

myzamboni said:
I read Todd's post and just knew N of 60 would post the pic.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Am I that predictable? :cheese:

north of 60 said:

I feed nothing but Pine-Free Premium food to my cats, and even after 7 years, they both look a lot better than that. %-P Rick

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 491
north of 60 said:

Needs strawberries and whipped cream.

It is dry enough to have large cracks running all the way to the center, it never sizzles when i burn it. You are right about not having secondary burn or CAT. I rarly smoke out of my chimny though, other than start ups, or when im letting it go out.

fossil said:
north of 60 said:

I feed nothing but Pine-Free Premium food to my cats, and even after 7 years, they both look a lot better than that. %-P Rick

I think you should add some shredded pine to their diets, they look pretty lazy! :lol:

I know, cats are supposed to be lazy.....;-)

Attachments

• Misty & Tiny_edited.jpg
    Misty & Tiny_edited.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 313
Status
Not open for further replies.