burning planer shavings and sawdust from shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
Since I have discovered my boiler doesn't mind fines, I have been bringing in my byproducts from wood shop and mixing with pellets. mostly sawdust. Is there a potential problem I'm not seeing. Its not a lot ...like 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per 20lb pellets. I wouldn't attempt with out a bottom feed... Flame seems higher.. Mostly doing it to get rid of some "garbage"....Thoughts?

I am a woodworker too and know about the nuisance of all those shavings and dust. I don't know anything about boilers but I use planer shavings to start fires in my insert instead of newspaper. It works great and gets rid of the stuff. Not sure what kinds of materials you work with, but I make sure not to burn plywood, MDF, composite, or anything other than solid wood.

You will have to check your clean out door for the feed plate more often to make sure that the sawdust is not packing in there. Also check the access panel on the burn pot to see if it is filling up more than with just pellets.

I am a woodworker too and know about the nuisance of all those shavings and dust. I don't know anything about boilers but I use planer shavings to start fires in my insert instead of newspaper. It works great and gets rid of the stuff. Not sure what kinds of materials you work with, but I make sure not to burn plywood, MDF, composite, or anything other than solid wood.
Pine is what I mostly work in my shop. I got the idea when I saw how much my bulk hopper grinds up the pellets(another story) I'm not sure if its the green Supremes that don't agree with it. It didn't chew up pellets before. I'll be needing more pellets so..... I will see if its the pellets...

I would be afraid that the fire might burn back through the shavings. If it is all small stuff no worry, but my planner produces shavings the might bridge the gap in the feed system. The curlicues from my wood turnings would definitely create a continuous path from fire to hopper.

I would be afraid that the fire might burn back through the shavings. If it is all small stuff no worry, but my planner produces shavings the might bridge the gap in the feed system. The curlicues from my wood turnings would definitely create a continuous path from fire to hopper.
I can see burn back could be a problem but I am strictly running on manual (never shuts off) ...Shavings are very small and not as plentiful.

I don't know squat about pellet stoves, but I do have mountains of planer shavings of which I must dispose myself semi-frequently. My materials are KD pine, KD and green oak, and KD mahogany (or Sapele). I find the shavings are surprisingly hard to burn, as I've often tried to dispose of them by shoveling them onto my fire pit going strong with scrap lumber and fallen deadwood branches. They're actually a fantastic fire suppressor.

I'm sure they could be burned with some effort, but I've found it so much easier to just set a 30 gallon can of shavings at the curb with my trash, as often as needed to keep the collection under control

Buy a pellet mill and make your own,,,better yet, let us try them so we can either brag about them or bash em.....

Reactions: boomhour
Update...bad idea...stopped feeding pellets . I forgot one of main benefits of pellets...they agree with delivery systems...:(

Reactions: bill3rail
Update...bad idea...stopped feeding pellets . I forgot one of main benefits of pellets...they agree with delivery systems...:(

You answered your own question. As I was reading the thread, I was thinking that they would not feed too well.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.