Burning Redwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
A friend has a very large Redwood that PGE took down. Thinking about using it in the wood stove. Im guessing to burn it after "all" the bark has fallen off?

Don't worry about the bark, it's fine to burn. Just make sure the wood is dry before putting it in the stove. No experience with red wood, so no idea how long it takes to season.

Don't worry about the bark, it's fine to burn. Just make sure the wood is dry before putting it in the stove. No experience with red wood, so no idea how long it takes to season.

They took it down a couple months ago. This is in Sacramento area, very hot summers, even today is upper 80's, and low humidity. Should be good for next season.

They took it down a couple months ago. This is in Sacramento area, very hot summers, even today is upper 80's, and low humidity. Should be good for next season.
So they have it split and stacked now, so it can season until needed next year? Sounds like a good plan!

Here in redwood country it's not a favored wood. It tends to be very low density, so not much heat for the volume. It's ok for the start of a fire, but otherwise you'll be feeding the fire very frequently. Even when I see it for free, I'll pass it up these days. (I'm assuming it's not old growth heartwood.)