burning wheat, corn, sun flower seeds in pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuelstart

Mar 31, 2008
Dudley, MA
www.fuelstart.com
I live in central Massachusetts and i'm thinking about buying the quadrafire Mt. Vernon Ae. One thing that I like about it is it can burn a bunch of different types of fuel. My question is other than corn and pellets do people actually burn wheat or sunflower seeds? If so where do you get them and how are the prices compared to pellets? I'm just worried that i'm going to drop a bunch of money on a pellet stove and pellets are going to continue going up in price so it won't save me anything over my oil bill.

The AE's advantage is that it can be programmed to burn whatever is most cost effective at the moment.

I don't burn wheat or seeds but if they were a cheaper alternative, I would. I imagine that if someone comes up with a suitable engineered biomass fuel the AE's software could be modified for its feed and burn requirements. Theoretically, it ought to be able to burn anything that can be made into pellets.

good plan carlo. i personally like the harmon pc-45 because it can burn small grains as well as corn and pellets. im not familiar with the mt vernon but from what i hear, they are a good stove. i like the idea that you can change the software for different fuels which the pc-45 isnt capable of. i would like to be able to change the fuel/air ratio in order to burn oilseed crops like canola and soybeans but with the standard pc board in the harmon, all i get is an oily smokey mess. i know that these oilseed crops are priced quite high for burning, but once in a while i can get a good deal on them for one reason or another.
you also should browse the iburncorn.com forum for a lot of useful info about alternate alternate fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.