Glad I'm Burning Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
the 2 home cheapos around me are 279 a ton. sometimes I wonder about some posts
At home depot, regular price would be 250/ton, but they overbought for last year, and were clearing those out for 176.00/ton (3tons or more).. I got 7 tons myself. Of course you'll need to store them now instead of late summer/fall..

I can verify that the 176/ton price was real. Not sure if they still have any...

Mid February HD was blowing out their pellets in a lot of areas. I got 6 tons and paid them $80 to deliver in early March - for a total of $1,140. Had to get the town road agent to approve the delivery since roads were posted. Snip from website was taken 2/13/2022 and the paid invoice is from 3/4/22. Once they got their excess inventory taken care of, HD did go back up in price

HD wood pellet prices.JPG 6 ton plus delivery cost.JPG

Reactions: vinny11950
There was end of season clearance prices that were posted on here. I missed. Local HDs had but never confirmed were the same ones he got which were from Maine or some known good mill. Was like $170/ton if bough 3 tons of suposedely good hard wood pellets so was crazy good deal. I had wanted to buy but where to put. I know can use QR scanner to tell where from (like to check TSC bags) but i think these were clearly marked as from Maine...have to find post. I would have had to store outside (covered) so would have absorbed some mosture but still worth it at that price if they were decent pellets. Now stuck with $3-400/ton prices. Better than oil but still crazy over priced imo.

Reactions: mr meener
Yes, I had to figure out how to store the 7 tons I bought, but I got it worked out. They do seem to be fairly well wrapped, so they could stay outside with a tarp over.. sorry you weren't able to take advantage. Maybe they will overbuy again this year..

The strange thing is the heating oil future for January are lower than they are right now.

The strange thing is the heating oil future for January are lower than they are right now.

Well, oil future prices are sentiments/expectations. Every little thing affects them. Weird as it seems, expectations of a recession would mean reduced demand. Also oil prices tend to fall just before an OPEC meeting (which is set for Monday). If OPEC reduces output, then futures could rise again. **

**Warning, I'm an google-fu expert only. All opinions expressed in this post are the opinions of supposed experts that I uncovered ;)

Reactions: Washed-Up