Burning WinterWarm 2100 without Catalytic Converter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Jenkins

Feb 1, 2012
Northwest Georgia
The catalytic converter in my Vermont Castings large WinterWarm 2100 is shot and I have removed it (in pieces). Some of the small pieces and some ash had fallen down into the refractory assembly, so I removed the front panel and gently cleaned out the junk.

I have ordered a new converter, but it will not arrive for a week. Meanwhile, we are looking at some of the coldest weather so far this year.

My question is this: Can I continue to use the stove if I keep the bypass damper closed so that nothing gets into the converter chamber? Will this harm the refractory unit in any way? Are there any things I should be careful about/watch out for?

We are semi-dependent on our wood-burning stove. We also have electric heat, but it is expensive and not very satisfactory.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can burn in it with the bypass open, you will need to keep a close eye on it so it doesn't overfire or just smolder the wood, you will need to burn a bit different as it will not have the cat to reburn the smoke so you will have to keep an eye on the flue for creosote buildup as you will be essentially burning in a pre-epa smoke dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.