Burning wood with nails?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdkirtley

Dec 11, 2005
St Louis, MO
Hello,

Some friends of mine just got a woodstove and I have access to a lot of pallets (not pellets) which I cut up for them. I understand the need to mix this thinner wood with "normal" wood to avoid too-hot fires but what about the pieces with nails in them. I don't want to go through the trouble of pulling them all out (and neither do my friends). Is it okay to burn these pieces in a non-catalytic stove? Will the nails do any damage to the stove or the chimney? I figure it would be fairly easy to fish the nails out of the ashes with a strong magnet if need be.

I appreciate any feedback and hope you will forgive me if this is a stupid idea.

thanks, David Kirtley

Burn them. They won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.