Burning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durantefarm

Jan 7, 2018
Ohio
ok so I’m new to wood insert heating and I did buy wood that wasn’t seasoned . I bought a moisture meter that’s helping me out ! So with the wood I did buy (ash , oak and maple ) if I split the ash into smaller pieces bring in house and set next to insert will it drop in moisture so I can use it or am I wasting time ? Thanks again ! I have put up 3 posts and u all have helped me out so much !

depends if it was live cut a week or two probably wasting your time, if it was standing dead ash maybe a few weeks setting by It or I ran out of wood a few times I cut some of that spit it and stack it next to my oil furnace, that runs more if your out of wood. few weeks was good enough.

The ash has the best chance of drying sooner than later. You could try resplitting, then bringing as much as possible into the house to let it dry for a week or two. That can make a decent improvement. Use large cardboard boxes or big totes to store indoors. You can also visit some construction sites for unpainted 2 by x cutoffs and scavenge up some unpainted palette wood. Or buy some compressed wood bricks to add to the wood in the fire in order to get through the coldest part of winter.

Be sure to check the chimney frequently for creosote accumulation. Damp wood cools down the flue gases a lot.