Busted a maul (or two, really)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
This is a good example of 15 years and 15 minutes. I bought the wooden one in the middle 90's, but it only got a workout in the last five years. Made out the logo "Black Knight". I bought the red one "True Temper Total Control" a few years ago and the handle cracked in the first 15 minutes, no doubt an over-strike, but only one. I put it away. When the wooden one came apart a day ago, I got the red one out and finished it off with a few more whacks.

I only use the mauls to drive wedges and my little electric to split.

Based on the reviews of one forum member, I ordered a Wilton 36" 6# B.A.S.H. splitting maul. It should be here in a day or two.

Every review that I read from Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply, etc, all had too many "great while it lasted" stories, so the $85/free shipping didn't seem like a bad deal compared to continually buying $30 models.

My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered an X27 and sharpener as well. I don't think swinging an axe is for me, but I'll have the option. I've got a Fiskars 24" model, but it's dull right now and that thing is so damn quick I'm afeared of using it! Since the X27 is 36", I'll feel a lot better about that. I used to be 6' 1"...

I'll ask the folks at House Handle Company to see if they have a handle for the red one. I always assumed a maul head was too simple to break!!

DSCN1059.JPG DSCN1060.JPG DSCN1055.JPG

I've never seen a maul head break like that. You must have the power of a grizzly bear or something.

I don't have a fiskers x27 but it seems to get great reviews. Unless your trying to bust open super big hard wood rounds I would think the 27 will do a good job for splitting.

Looks like you found the weak spot. Cast is tough, but it ain't strong. There is little to no flex in cast. Too tight of a wedge pushing outwards combined with repeated metal to metal contact killed the little dude. It happens. (by that, I am not suggesting you did anything wrong, its just the nature of the beast and probably a weak design).

That maul head is thinner around the handle than my old style maul is.

You'll like the X27, despite all the hype. It does almost exactly the same work as an 8# maul and it weighs 6#. :) Never heard anything good about that special X27 sharpeny thing, but if you file the ridges off the steel, a regular sharpening stone sharpens it just fine. I keep mine axe-sharp, not maul-sharp.

You could probably put the old one back together too. Might be worth it if it's cast steel; if it's cast iron it's a much longer project with worse chance of success, and I wouldn't even mess with it.

Don't use either new maul to bang on wedges! :p

Last edited:
If all you are doing is driving wedges, why don't you get a sledgehammer?

Every time I ask myself that same question, here's what I tell me. :)
After the big round cracks, I put the blade in the crack and use the handle as a lever to slightly open the split and get the wedge out. I could use more wedges but any more than two and somebody seems to disappear in the brush. The blade part is also perfect for breaking the stringy stuff holding two splits together. The other handy bit is the blade part of the maul is useful for hooking a round and pulling it towards the tailgate in the truck. I keep a camper shell on 100% of the year.

Every now and then I need to chop up some tree roots. Close to least favorite chore ever, but I didn't feel so bad about driving a maul into the ground.

Last edited:
I've never seen a maul head break like that. You must have the power of a grizzly bear or something.

I don't have a fiskers x27 but it seems to get great reviews. Unless your trying to bust open super big hard wood rounds I would think the 27 will do a good job for splitting.

I ascribe to the Hulk Hogan school of guitar playing and the Jimmy Page school of bodybuilding.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That maul head is thinner around the handle than my old style maul is.

You'll like the X27, despite all the hype. It does almost exactly the same work as an 8# maul and it weighs 6#. :) Never heard anything good about that special X27 sharpeny thing, but if you file the ridges off the steel, a regular sharpening stone sharpens it just fine. I keep mine axe-sharp, not maul-sharp.

You could probably put the old one back together too. Might be worth it if it's cast steel; if it's cast iron it's a much longer project with worse chance of success, and I wouldn't even mess with it.

Don't use either new maul to bang on wedges! :p

I'd like to put a new handle on the blade from the red one so there's some kind of spare. Sometimes it's perfectly fine to pick up a tool that's 50 yards closer than the one you'd rather have!

I swear an oath this day to only use the sharp side of the X27. ;lol But it's going to be a rare day to use the sharp side of the Wilton.

I think the broken maul head is going to find its way into the recycle bin...

You will love the bash. Plus you can use it to hit wedges. It is about indestructible, I love mine I have the 36 inch handle with the 8 lb head. They also make sledgehammers. I use their 20 lb beast it will destroy what ever you hit, splits wood great just can be a lot to swing a 20 lb sledge all day.

You will love the bash. Plus you can use it to hit wedges. It is about indestructible, I love mine I have the 36 inch handle with the 8 lb head. They also make sledgehammers. I use their 20 lb beast it will destroy what ever you hit, splits wood great just can be a lot to swing a 20 lb sledge all day.

When I read your glowing testimonials I figured most guys don't extol the virtues of an average piece of gear. With 6# I figured I was going with the devil I know. It no longer bothers me in the least to take a few extra swings and keep the monsters under control. The 20 pounder sounds like a blast (literally), but at my weight, the six pounder is probably the best fit.

The 20 pounder would certainly be something I'd try in the midway of my county fair, though!! ;lol As long as there weren't any girls watching. ;em

Reactions: heavy hammer
Once you get it and use it let us know what you think. You can never have to many tools. Look into there sledgehammers they have all different size and weights.

I have not found a way to destroy the X27 yet. Despite my best efforts at overstrike, missing, hitting concrete, etc..........;em

Reactions: Prof and Soundchasm
Once you get it and use it let us know what you think. You can never have to many tools. Look into there sledgehammers they have all different size and weights.

Well, my first impression is that it is heavy. However, I have no experience with the thing, and a bunch of things that were formerly "heavy" are quite tolerable with some experience. My first session left me with the impression it was easier to let it drop with a little encouragement than to power swing the thing. My hat is off to anyone that can swing this thing con mucho gusto. The sledge bit is a slightly smaller profile but my aim was good enough. It did certainly power the wedge through the oak rounds with no problem. I agree that an edge needs to be put on the thing. I did do some splitting with the splitting side and it had no problem, but hydraulics will still be less work.

I found one troubling review where the owner said that once the head got loose Wilton said the product was at the end of its life cycle. That seemingly was unrelated to the handle being unbreakable. I doubt I'll be using the product to the limits described...

See review titled "Updated".
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Splitt...58&sr=8-55&keywords=wilton+bash+sledge+hammer

Last edited:
It may not be for everyone just giving my thoughts. The green makes it look cool at least.

It may not be for everyone just giving my thoughts. The green makes it look cool at least.

I think I'm going to like it. The "loose head" thing seems bizarre to say the least, but based on your ability to swing those things, I think you'd have detected it by now. ;)

Us 165 lb beanpoles have got just slightly further to go than your average bear! Thinking back, when I first got a spud bar it was tough to pick up, and even wedges seemed heavy. I believe the BASH will add a little to my upper body regimen... It's always tough to come out of winter and get back into shape. I'll get some experience and technique together and then it'll look like I know what I'm doing.

I have to agree that the green is way cool.:cool:

I've never had a problem with the head but anything is possible. They have different weights of sledges you don't need a 20 lb I just wanted one the have lighter ones that I'm sure would work. I'm just getting at you can hit the maul with a sledge and it won't hurt it. I'm sure you will figure out what you want or need, have fun splitting.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Post a pic. Which one you get 6 or 8 lb head, what size handle.

If all you are doing is driving wedges, why don't you get a sledgehammer?
Sledgehammers are relatively cheap and are specifically made for striking metal, albeit metal that is softer than the sledge. I would never use a maul as a sledgehammer, mainly because if the maul does not work on the round to be split, then it is too light to be used as a sledgehammer on the same round to drive a wedge.

I love my fiskars 27. I used 8 and 16lb mauls for years and I wish I had found the fiskars sooner. It is lighter and using an old tire I can really split wood fast with it.
Let us know how you like them both

The ISOCore is now my favourite go-to splitter and I find I use it far more than the x27. At least for now, until something else new and shiny becomes my favourite go-to....

I get busy periodically and can't get back to the forum often enough these days.

I have gotten a few things done. I got the remaining maul head on a new handle, and that was a story unto itself.

I put an edge of sorts on the BASH. I used the Fiskars sharpener to go over the X27 to make sure it had an edge. BTW, the sharpener actually works. I took the BASH and X27 down to the oak pile. Selected a really nice 1/2 round as a target. X27, swing, boom, two pieces. Same thing with the BASH, and Boom, two pieces! Did a few more swings on various bits and both tools are quite good.

Walked the BASH back up the hill and saw an oak 1/4 burl my electric couldn't split. Put it out in the yard and lined a up a shot. POW!! I've had to dig wedges, chainsaws and axes out of splits before, but I had to dig the BASH out of MY YARD!! HAH!

At my age I'm not gonna' hand-split no way, no how, but these are very good tools. The BASH seems heavy to me, but that could change by the end of the summer. Here's a photo.

DSCN1075.JPG

DSCN1074.JPG

I have the bash maul and sledgehammer great tools. Love them both.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I had a unit similar to the broken maul in the OP, but I kept breaking wooden handles overstriking them.

I went down to the local steel yard and got a short section of 2" and a long section of 1 1/4" pipe. Heated and ovaled the 2" pipe to fit inside the eye, slid the smaller pipe inside the larger and welded the ever loving @$#(% out of it.

It won't be breaking any time soon now.==c