Stihl Pro Splitting Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Just got a Stihl Pro Splitting maul after thinking of buying one for many years. I have a hydraulic splitter but I still enjoy splitting wood by hand for exercise. Got it for a very good price of $99 dollars. They guy at the shop is actually raising the price after I told him what a good deal it was. Probably should have kept my mouth shut on that one but oh well. Got a chance to put it through some wood yesterday and this morning. Seems very well made. The grain on the handle of mine is very good. Oriented the right direction so I think it will last. Takes some getting used to from a Fiskars X27 which I also have, but does have that extra ooph for breaking through larger rounds that I would be splitting edge slabs off of with the Fiskars. I have several 24" white oak rounds that are straight grained and the Stihl blows right down through the middle, no need to noodle around on the edges like I would with the Fiskars. Two different tools and two different techniques for sure, but I've been enjoying using the Stihl, I like it so far. If you can find an example with good handle grain, I highly recommend it.

Here's the homeowner one.

Wonder if someone can i.d. the manufacturer. Learned on here that LogRite is the Stihl cant hook.

Reactions: BIGChrisNH
No matter, I have go devils, Mississippi Gut Busters and other mauls that someone can put in a museum someday. I have a hydraulic splitter and that's how my wood gets split nowadays.

That second one you posted is it. It's a re-branded Ochsenkopf, which is made in Germany.
I gave it a good workout this afternoon again. I'm really liking it. Between that and the Fiskars, it's a great combo.

No matter, I have go devils, Mississippi Gut Busters and other mauls that someone can put in a museum someday. I have a hydraulic splitter and that's how my wood gets split nowadays.
I've not heard of either of those, love the names though.

Made for Stihl by Ochsenkopf
Definitely get the pro model. It has a metal protective collar that will save a few handles. The hickory is good quality and has lasted several seasons of splitting.
I own both X-27 and the Ochsenkopf and enjoy using both even if I use X-27 greater proportion of my splitting.
Both have their advantages. The X-27 is lighter and great and quick explosive splits.
The Ochsenkopf is heavier than the X-27 and can power through a few of the marginal, stringier logs.

Made for Stihl by Ochsenkopf
Definitely get the pro model. It has a metal protective collar that will save a few handles. The hickory is good quality and has lasted several seasons of splitting.
I own both X-27 and the Ochsenkopf and enjoy using both even if I use X-27 greater proportion of my splitting.
Both have their advantages. The X-27 is lighter and great and quick explosive splits.
The Ochsenkopf is heavier than the X-27 and can power through a few of the marginal, stringier logs.
Yep that's it. I agree with your comments and I've found the same thing. Sometimes it just feels good to use the maul too. X-27 definitely gives you a speed advantage. If I had to pick just one I would roll with the X-27, but it's nice to have options, and I really like having quality tools if I can afford them.

I have an older version before they added the metal protector. Even though I am fairly clumsy I have not managed to damage the handle after however many years now. It is one of those things I really cringed at the price but never regretted it.

Split several more cords with the Stihl pro maul at this point. I'm getting well into middle age now and I will say that the maul makes my elbows ache more than my Fiskars does... But I still love it as a tool. I wish I was 25 again...

Split several more cords with the Stihl pro maul at this point. I'm getting well into middle age now and I will say that the maul makes my elbows ache more than my Fiskars does... But I still love it as a tool. I wish I was 25 again...
There may be something to the Fiskars spiel, about shock-absorbing construction..
But I've found that if you have grippy gloves that allow you to grip the handle as loosely as possible, that reduces shock tranfer greatly. I have to monitor grip pressure, as I tend to tighten up if I don't.
These gloves are great; Grippy as heck, and wear like iron.