Buy local vs online?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did my own install and bought a 2019 leftover online. I got the stove I wanted and saved $2K over the local guy. If the $ had been closer I would have gladly gone with the local guy, but at 2x the cost, I can't justify it.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I did my own install and bought a 2019 leftover online. I got the stove I wanted and saved $2K over the local guy. If the $ had been closer I would have gladly gone with the local guy, but at 2x the cost, I can't justify it.
Was this the Summit insert? Where was it from?

Was this the Summit insert? Where was it from?

I got the Summit insert from FireplacesRUs.net. They're website isn't terribly nice, but their customer service had been great.

I got the Summit insert from FireplacesRUs.net. They're website isn't terribly nice, but their customer service had been great.
Interesting, looks like they are clearing out Enviros too. I checked on the Summit and that looks like a Summit C, not an LE model. Did your insert label specifically say it was an LE?

The quality control paperwork from the manufacturer said it was a Summit LE, manufactured in June of 2019. Pretty good deal if you ask me, and it comes with the liner kit too.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Great. Is the manual for an LE too?
I got the stove I wanted and saved $2K over the local guy. If the $ had been closer I would have gladly gone with the local guy, but at 2x the cost, I can't justify it.
The website lists it at $2650. If the local guy is asking $4650 they are asking way over retail! How much was shipping?

Last edited:
The website lists it at $2650. If the local guy is asking $4650 they are asking way over retail! How much was shipping?

Shipping was free. Like I said, the price included the liner, appliance adapter, top plate and cap. It was too good a price to ignore. And yes, the local guy was asking nearly $5K installed. And this was one of the places that didn't use a block-off plate, didn't insulate the liner, and used the pink insulation as packing around the liner. I ran away.

Reactions: BeautifulBC
Shipping was free. Like I said, the price included the liner, appliance adapter, top plate and cap. It was too good a price to ignore. And yes, the local guy was asking nearly $5K installed. And this was one of the places that didn't use a block-off plate, didn't insulate the liner, and used the pink insulation as packing around the liner. I ran away.
Actually it was not stated that the package included the liner and parts. The website lists shipping as extra, that's why I asked. Not to badger you, but to be careful if recommending the same place to others. They have Enviros listed that some folks are looking for. FWIW, 5K for a Summit insert + parts + installation in peak season is a pretty normal price. Most installers don't do block-off plates, so other than the pink insulation the quote is not out of line.

Reactions: bholler

I don't know if I'm allowed to post direct links to non-sponsors or not. But this page does show free shipping and a liner kit is included. I don't have any affiliation with the seller at all, other than I bought one and thought it was a great price and wanted to share with others.

It is a decent deal. AFAIK there is only one authorized online dealer selling PE stoves. They list the Summit insert for $200 more, but I could be wrong. Capt Soot is listed as a PE dealer.

Last edited:
It also gives no info on the liner kit.

Hey BG, yeah heard Enviro is foregoing wood in favor of pellet and espec gas, the up and coming heating source. Too bad, I've always been
a big fan of their wood stoves and inserts. I think their pellet line is fine too- it was their gas line that I always thought lacked... anyway looks like Hearthstone might have a big hit with their tru-hybrid system and green mountain line, but not enough units out to tell yet.

I've always liked their stoves. They are like a tube version of a PE stove, but with better finish. Had mixed results with their pellet stoves. I took apart a Princess that had shut down due to a clogged port on the exhaust going to the vacuum switch. That port should have been a) more serviceable and b) in another location.

There is price.
Then there is satisfaction.
Even if cheap, it is a waste of money if one later has problems with the product.

With a trivial amount of research, it seems this insert is not very satisfying to more people than not. For example, to those that bothered to give a comment at this web one site (as just a references -- not saying it is "the" source of review anyone should follow or it represents the product -- only that such sites should give one pause before purchase if one does not "know some people" with the insert to get first hand experience):

One must always consider the return policy and actual warranty customer service. Web orders often take trouble free returns only on unopened packages. A local dealer may take back even a used product without cost if defective. Try to convince a web deal to do that (despite warranty).... Buy local, then your dealer should handle the warranty. Buy online, and you are the one often stuck with trying to get warranty service. So... it can be a gamble. And with a gamble, sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose.

Last edited:
Not to confuse the issue further, it is not unusual for a local shop to price a particular unit high if at that very moment in time they are backed up on installs. I do that in my consulting business. Throw out a high fee, if you get it you work longer or shift around the schedule. If you don't get the price, no harm (other than having a lost customer post this experience on the internet --- nah, that never happens..hehe).

With a trivial amount of research, it seems this insert is not very satisfying to more people than not.
Correct, that is definitely a trivial amount of research and not very helpful.

Folks go online to complain about a product much much more than they go online to praise one. And many complaints that we see here or on a random website are blaming the tool, when the operator or the installation is at fault. We also see this here as people complain "the stove is not getting enough air, somethings blocking it." when in fact they are dealing with negative room pressure, too short flue, wet wood or a cold chimney. We have more posts about BK stoves here than just about any other brand. But that is not because of a shoddy product. Typically it's because folks are new to cat technology and making mistakes, or had poor dealer support, or are dealing with draft issues.

25 postings on a local hvac site do not represent a big sampling. Most are draft related issues. And some are hilarious. One says a Super 27 can't heat their 2000 sq ft place (not the stove's fault) and another one following says they are happily heating 3000 sq ft with essentially the same stove. One person posted what would appear to be a negative, one-star review, but had this to say about their stove.
"I'm very satisfied with my Summit series stove. I've owned it about 4 years with no problems at at. It does have slow draft when first starting so I leave door part way open for just a few minutes and then it burns wonderfully. Once the stove is going there are absolutely no complaints."

That said, the advice to ask the man who owns one was true a century ago when Packard advertised it and still true today. Likewise with online sales. There are good ones out there and poor ones, same for dealers and installers. Always try to get references when possible.

Last edited:
Correct, that is definitely a trivial amount of research and not very helpful.

Folks go online to complain about a product much much more than they go online to praise one.

Yes, I know. Indeed, I already alluded to that fact when I said "those that bothered to give a comment", "not saying it is "the" source of review anyone should follow or it represents the product", etc. However, to be fair, I will assume my comment was abstruse and not as clear as it should have been .. which perhaps stimulated your reply and quoting me out of context. ;)

My main point (pretty clear from my lead in three lines) was more about price versus satisfaction ratio. And "if" something goes wrong, when buying online one may have more problems getting warranty repair (and from reviews, one can see that things can and do go wrong, and especially what might go wrong -- including if there is no satisfactory reply from the manufacturer). And that is something I think is to consider. If you consider that "not very helpful", well you are entitled to your opinion.

We have more posts about BK stoves here than just about any other brand. But that is not because of a shoddy product. Typically it's because folks are new to cat technology and making mistakes, or had poor dealer support, or are dealing with draft issues.

True. And they may indeed be rookie issues by the consumer. But those are solutions that can be quickly addressed by the seller, if the product was bought locally. But can be difficult to get a reply to when buying from a web site, or from the manufacturer directly. Local knowledge and support still matters.

So again, and just saying, IMHO, price alone (my main point) should not be the sole reason to buy in one place or another. There are benefits beyond price when buying locally. And those should be part of the purchase decision. I have done both (I have two stoves) but I did a lot of research, and considered my risks and consequences before either purchase. I am not, nor was I, saying one is better than the other. But if one does even a "trivial" amount of research, they can quickly find reasons to "give pause". To... do more research and think things through from many angles. And they may find after that, that price alone is not the only issue. Hope this helps. :)

That said, the advice to ask the man who owns one was true a century ago when Packard advertised it and still true today.

At the half century mark myself. So almost old enough for when Packard advertised it. So despite being in IT professionally, when buying things like wood stoves, which are some modern improvements on many century old tools, I still prefer to go to a local merchant, and ask them for a list of customers that I can talk to (or give my card and ask them to ask some customers to contact me). About the product. And especially about service. And many will do so. Yes, the list is probably biased (satisfied customers) but I do like to get real person feedback before forking over 3 or 4 grand. But that is just me of course. Your millage may differ. :)

Last edited: